Fitting new front rigid forks

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Please Any words of wisdom/advice for fitting my pace RC31c forks. One fork has the star in the steerer tube already. I have no tools :shock:
The fork weighs 675 grams :D

tintin40":1bt9q6rp said:
Please Any words of wisdom/advice for fitting my pace RC31c forks. One fork has the star in the steerer tube already. I have no tools :shock:

Either buy tools or take it to a shop...seriously.

tintin40":36w6cjrx said:
Please Any words of wisdom/advice for fitting my pace RC31c forks.

Easy really, should take you 15 minutes, put the race on the fork (tap it into place with a hammer+bit of wood) - put the fork through your headset - put your stem on the fork steerer tube (leaving the stems pinch bolts loose) and tighten the headset cap bolt until you can feel no play in the fork - then tighten the stem pinch bolts (don't forget to line the stem up so it is straight)

One fork has the star in the steerer tube already.

Do you have more than one fork ? Is having a star nut in the steerer a problem ?

I do not understand what you are saying here :?:

I have no tools :shock:

You need an allen key, a hammer and bit of wood (to knock the race into place) and . . . that's it !

I have fitted 5 (possibly 6 ?) RC31s to my various bikes over the years it is reasonably straight forward.

Good luck

Sorry yes have two bikes two forks to be fitted. One fork was fitted but im putting those forks on the other frame. I see i will need a star tool. the bottom race is also very tight fit. I don't want to take to a shop. London shops charge the earth plus don't do a good job. So i end up doing it my self.

tintin40":2k2zbycs said:
Sorry yes have two bikes two forks to be fitted.

Clarity !

I see i will need a star tool.

What is a 'Star tool' ? Never seen one in 20 years of building bikes, not to say they are probably not very useful, but a bit of wood and a few minutes of careful tapping with a hammer while drinking tea and listening to the radio does the trick.

the bottom race is also very tight fit.

Thats the idea ! Tighter the better, that's why you need to knock it into place with a hammer and a bit of wood and not simply slide it into position.

I don't want to take to a shop. London shops charge the earth plus don't do a good job. So i end up doing it my self.

Yep !!!

I have had a RC31 installed by a bike shop in London, scratches on the crown and needed to be tightened within hours (seriously). Not great for £35.

:D Thanks. On wards and upwards :LOL:
Oh i have one bike book to help (or hinder) Will sleep on it (so to speak) And look tomorrow

tintin40":3qh4id6i said:
:D Thanks. On wards and upwards :LOL:
Oh i have one bike book to help (or hinder) Will sleep on it (so to speak) And look tomorrow

A couple of months ago I saw a fella going through Camden on a Trimble, can't be many around, was that you ?

I think it was black, heading North.

tintin40":3pcl4aov said:
:D :shock: fame at last. Me riding like a mad man. or on mission :LOL:

More of a mission thing, very fast going towards Camden tube from Mornigton crescent/west end - the first trimble I have seen in real life.

Back