Cleaning ceramic rims

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Got a set of badly glazed and slightly pitted ceramic rims. Any tips for cleaning? The mavic cleaner any good?

Apparently the cleaning stones are good, but I'm never sure which one to get as £20 odd for a sponge with what looks like that stuff Hornby railway set track cleaner stuck on it seems a bit trop cher to me.

Actually, maybe Hornby railway track cleaning stones might work.

...anyone else want to be the one that discovers whether they do or not for me? Ah go on, take one for the team!

:)

I've seen the mavic stuff, its got a propper trade name as something else. I got identical stuff from a <cough> BA engineer mate<cough> for nowt. I'll try & find the original packaging.... tho even after deglazing green kool stop pads made more of an improvement to ceramic braking (over stock shimano) than the actual deglazing.

I've always used the Shimano Ceramic pads without problems. Although the arch supremes came with some green pad that lasted for ages (years not weeks) :eek:

my mental friend Paul (the vegan singlespeeding extremist) always managed to get his ceramic pads to eat the ceramic rim surface, (but then he was/ is weird and does use Maguras. So when I got some I used the normal shimano pads on ceramic rims and they seem good.

Am i missing out of a great advantage by using the ceramic pads?

I've got a Mavic stone, bought it when "tired and emotional" as £17 (at the time) seemed more than a bit steep.

Bloomin well works though! Spanking results. Recommended.

Wu-Tangled":108tg7a8 said:
my mental friend Paul (the vegan singlespeeding extremist) always managed to get his ceramic pads to eat the ceramic rim surface,

my last 517ceramic wore through the sidewall in 10months, thats when I finally admitted defeat & got disc brakes.

Back