Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:24 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:17 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

GT BIKE RIDER wrote:
Project Two, the first straight leg MTB production fork is introduced.

The biggest problem with some of these is they tend to tell the truth how they want it to be told.
There where plenty of other straight bladed fork (Tange, Syncros and even as far as RockShox)

They Jacob.. sorry 'Kona' probably define 'Production' in their own little technical way.

As for sloping top tubes well as we know they've been around for many many decades.. (search for the longish thread on sloping top tubes) was quite a good one, Cunningham was doing them before 'Brodie' did at Rocky and I forget the rest :lol:

They did make a good choice on the name change though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

FluffyChicken wrote:
GT BIKE RIDER wrote:
Project Two, the first straight leg MTB production fork is introduced.

The biggest problem with some of these is they tend to tell the truth how they want it to be told.
There where plenty of other straight bladed fork (Tange, Syncros and even as far as RockShox)

They Jacob.. sorry 'Kona' probably define 'Production' in their own little technical way.

As for sloping top tubes well as we know they've been around for many many decades.. (search for the longish thread on sloping top tubes) was quite a good one, Cunningham was doing them before 'Brodie' did at Rocky and I forget the rest :lol:

They did make a good choice on the name change though.

thats history for you,,,,,,history books were only written by the victor...a well know phrase.

obviously , all over the world there are people, talanted people, frame builders, designers, engineers, techheads, whizz kids, guys in the pub with a pen and a beer mat, they all live in different parts of the country the world...etc........for example the states.......a bloody big place, guys on one side with a beermat, guys on the other side in a shed, they are at the begining of sumthing new....but the gear they ride is not srong enough, they tweak what they have, untill they think....hang on we can do it better, its simple law of averages a couple of people or groups of people are goina come up with a good idea thats similar, at a similar time in history...........and im dam sure, that the period in time we are talking about rockshox hadnt quite got to mass market.lol....and the tange fork, i could be miles off here, but wasnt that a legendary fork design by our good friend kieth bontrager.......didnt he sell the rights to that design to both tange and the rockshox boys(fork crown)...(both of which took product to market via production in taiwan).....see what i mean....its easy.. two totally different areas of the country,at a similar time, so who did it first?????????? who cares the product got to market and stayed because we think its good...... :D :) :lol: 8) as for the top tube decades comment, back it up with sum pics for me, we are going back to 1988, and talking generally about a mass produced range of bikes that got to market and stayed,especially in the uk, actually in the shops i cant think of a single one........and a decade before this we had choppers............now they were cool........................ 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:23 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

for me as a young racer......the frames looked hardcore in comparison to other steel manufactured bikes...( in the same way as seeing a cannondale or even better a klein for the first time with its coke can sized tubes.) it took my breath away, and the paint just gave it that custom off the wall look.... in a "fly..F**KING...mental"...way.......grab a pic of the same model year specialized stumpjumper 1988, and then an explosif 1988 and tell me you dont see it.......? different strokes for different folks.

Attachments:
008a.JPG
008a.JPG [ 202.5 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]
039ab.JPG
039ab.JPG [ 150.06 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:58 am 
Retro Guru

sinnerman wrote:
for me as a young racer......the frames looked hardcore in comparison to other steel manufactured bikes...grab a pic of the same model year specialized stumpjumper 1988, and then an explosif 1988 and tell me you dont see it.......? different strokes for different folks.

All true, even for me as a 37 year old racer in 1988. Still ultra cool now, I just wish it had an extra inch in the top tube....

Much better handling bikes, in comparison to the competion at that time, in my humble opinion. That '88 Explosif of mine can still show a lot of much newer bikes a clean pair of heels on technical singletrack and moorland track descents - it can't be the rider, 'cos I'm an old fart of nearly 60 now, so it must be the bike.
Whatever it is, when it all comes together, it feels pretty good.....you've just got to be prepared to trust it and really rag it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:14 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

P2 only stayed around and in this country as they where here and available widely on cheap price point bikes so real people could afford them, look good, light and simple which is a winning design and I think now it's only the 'look' that is the same the forks are long and beefy now (probably as everything seems to be) :D

I was referring to the claim of first production fork not the fork itself. Doesn't matter who designed what and where or what was better. Just doubting the claim that he made.

As for sloping tube I think we came to the conclusion Alan Partridge invented them http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... g+top+tube

Again not the bikes as I know millions love them and I have one myself, I just don't hold to their claims.

But you have to remember most these builder all talked met and used each others ideas as you would expect.

Cannot deny Kona coming to the UK as they moved in early, took Rocky till 1990 ? to get to the UK ? and others well they didn't have the charms of a Canadian bike ;)
Got them settled in an well known before the boom in the start of the 90's

Anyway, on with the pictures :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:25 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

[quote="FluffyChicken"]P2 only stayed around and in this country as they where here and available widely on cheap price point bikes so real people could afford them, look good, light and simple which is a winning design and I think now it's only the 'look' that is the same the forks are long and beefy now (probably as everything seems to be) :D

I was referring to the claim of first production fork not the fork itself. Doesn't matter who designed what and where or what was better. Just doubting the claim that he made.

As for sloping tube I think we came to the conclusion Alan Partridge invented them http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... g+top+tube

you are a legend.....it must have been alan partridge.....lol......?

thanks for posting the links too, awesum, and every body should read the 1987 rocky mountain catalogue.....very very interesting, the core range of mountain bikes all had straight top tubes if you noticed, the only bike with a sloping top tube was, the team blizzard, this was in 1987, in 1988 we had kona here on the shops floors for the humble masses........

as for the forks being availiable on lower price point bikes and look longer, this is because, although the look of the frames have remained the same, geometry has to be altered slighty as suspension fork production grew and mass production brought the cost down, more suspension forks were used, head angles are obviously altered to accomadate longer travel forks etc...remember we are talking about 20 years ago, when straight forks were a relativley new design, as in 1988 suspension forks werent availiable to the humble masses on shop floor production bikes.....fast forward to today and this is old hat, consumers are given little choice on straight forks or suspension, the manufacturer awsumes we all want suspension, and the straight legged fork, either is supplied on the low level models, or on the niche product range....look at the current 2010 kona xc range of hardtails not a project two in site, but they have them on there niche models......others do this too. cannondale for example with there badboy etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

I had a wishbone rear stay Mongoose from about 1986 with a straight bladed fork...

Sadly the bike no longer exists but Lewis has the forks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:33 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

my tange swithblade nos fork, awaiting a worthy steel frame from the same era.........???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Attachments:
tange switchblade.002a.jpg
tange switchblade.002a.jpg [ 80.94 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]
tange swithblade.03a.jpg
tange swithblade.03a.jpg [ 100.42 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]
tange switchblade.001a.jpg
tange switchblade.001a.jpg [ 83.36 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:31 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

By the way, what's with the madcows reference above ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:26 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

FluffyChicken wrote:
By the way, what's with the madcows reference above ?

lol.... :D :D ....it was making ref, to the early days at the malverns....just mental....you had to be there..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next