Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:33 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:58 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Mr Panda wrote:
mine's quite heavy on the splatter :D

......must find some decent wheels 8)

thats a nice one and in my current size......consider selling it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:18 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

legrandefromage wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
Big thanks to both Joe Murray and Paul Brodie for the work they did in the early days for the TBG. Without their input, would we have seen sloping top tubes and project 2 forks and this style on our shores quite so early??????

http://s850.photobucket.com/home/Sinnerman_2010/index

Yes:

These homegrown frames were produced as early as 1983 :wink: :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: absolutley stuuning bikes....really really always wanted one, i could be wrong with this but, your bike was a handbuilt frame from bristol....and became truly legendary.......but the difference was a handbuilt frame of this type back then was big big bucks, i remember because back then i was 14 and looked into it, ( the whole culture became an obseesion with our gang of racers....shout out to maverick edgey etc,,,)), especailly after seeing them at the malverns, saltrum, blandford forum race events, a similar time to when lenord zinn handbuilt his frames too, and showcased them around the race circuit, the point im trying to make i think, was a cinder cone complete, was the same money as a handbuilt very good quality frame like this......one produced for the humble masses and one was for the middle classes..lol..........you have a real piece of great british mountain biking hitory there........i salute you.....i think in that geometry, it was a late 87/88 model too, but you probably know this....... keep it nice and watch the value increase i rekon... :D :) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:50 am 
Retro Guru

More old tat.....

Attachments:
Kona-4.jpg
Kona-4.jpg [ 90.69 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
Kona-3.jpg
Kona-3.jpg [ 95.66 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:59 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Andy R wrote:
More old tat.....

thats not old tat.....thats very cool....., and looks in very good condition too....a credit to you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:10 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

sinnerman wrote:
Andy R wrote:
More old tat.....

thats not old tat.....thats very cool....., and looks in very good condition too....a credit to you.

COMING HOME FROM A VERY WET SUNDAY MORNING RIDE......SITTING WITH A CUP OF SWEET TEA, A COPY OF MBA, LOOKING UP AND SEEING MY BREEZER IGNAZ X ON THE WALL.......MAKES WORKING ALL WEEK FROM DUSK TILL DAWN ALL WORTH WHILE........

Attachments:
bikes 1489t.jpg
bikes 1489t.jpg [ 182.29 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]
bikes 1487abcd.jpg
bikes 1487abcd.jpg [ 74.9 KiB | Viewed 1332 times ]
bikes 1484abc.jpg
bikes 1484abc.jpg [ 100.39 KiB | Viewed 1332 times ]

Last edited by sinnerman on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

sinnerman wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: absolutley stuuning bikes....really really always wanted one, i could be wrong with this but, your bike was a handbuilt frame from bristol....and became truly legendary.......but the difference was a handbuilt frame of this type back then was big big bucks, i remember because back then i was 14 and looked into it, ( the whole culture became an obseesion with our gang of racers....shout out to maverick edgey etc,,,)), especailly after seeing them at the malverns, saltrum, blandford forum race events, a similar time to when lenord zinn handbuilt his frames too, and showcased them around the race circuit, the point im trying to make i think, was a cinder cone complete, was the same money as a handbuilt very good quality frame like this......one produced for the humble masses and one was for the middle classes..lol..........you have a real piece of great british mountain biking hitory there........i salute you.....i think in that geometry, it was a late 87/88 model too, but you probably know this....... keep it nice and watch the value increase i rekon... :D :) :P

I'm strictly tongue in cheek - these early TBG Konas are the only ones I like BTW. keep them coming!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:47 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

legrandefromage wrote:
sinnerman wrote:

I'm strictly tongue in cheek - these early TBG Konas are the only ones I like BTW. keep them coming!

no seriously your bikes awesum and got my vote for the bike of the month thats for sure......i did worry that sum rb site users have taken my comments about murray/brodie, kona etc personnally....and that they feel these guys werent the guys responsible for the geometry etc.....i think everyones recolection of the early days will of course be different, due to the area they live in and the availiability of different ranges of bikes and what the shop owners deemed cool and worthy of shop floor space.....our local shop was run by a roadie, and who for years hated mountain bikes, but i do remember after stocking tbg kona, specialized,and cannondale, his business grew and grew,..........id love to hear other peoples retro beginings and what got them hooked on sumthing that we are all here talking about 20 years later.......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

sinnerman wrote:
i did worry that sum rb site users have taken my comments about murray/brodie, kona etc personnally

You worry far too much matey ;)

Since my first MTB was a Kona ('93 cinder Cone), I do have a soft spot for them.. but, if I ever get another (Kona), it's going to have to be one of these earlier ones. . . .

Green Explosif or white Cinder Cone . . . both are smoking my kipper big style 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:11 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Anthony wrote:
On sloping top tubes, Rocky Mountains had flat top tubes until they met Paul Brodie. And the Cascade range that Joe Murray designed for The Bicycle Group also had flat top tubes. Then TBG changed the name from Cascade to Kona and Joe Murray worked with Paul Brodie on them. Hey presto, Konas had sloping top tubes.

I believe TBG was the US distributor for Marin and ran their race team. Joe Murray was a Marin team rider, hence the association with him.

Brodie was an artist before going to RM to work as a painter. There he learned to weld and then set up on his own. The 1988/9 and 1990 ranges of Kona were welded in Taiwan and shipped to the USA for Brodie to finish them (braze-ons etc) and paint them. I assume that he must have been responsible for the design of the paint work as well.

From 1991, the association with Brodie ended and the bikes were finished, painted and assembled in Taiwan. Spatter disappeared and the paintwork became plain. I expect getting spatter right isn't as easy as it looks - if you're going to have it, best to have it done by an artist.

Some credit for the plentiful supply of early Konas here must go to JP Saville, the proprietor of the importers Second-Level Sport. He imported Kona right from the beginning and told me that he was initially taking over half of their total production. He now runs Quest Adventure Sports in Worthing.

thanks for that info...i remember second level sport, never new the proprietors name, i wonder after looking at the post of your first edition catalouge, did he import brodie too, in the years to follow. I always had a steel brodie catalyst on my wish list, but my local shop owner told me they were unavailiable...???????, also paul brodie welding braze ons makes a lot of sense too, as im sure the macaroni pipe for the rear brake cable always looked cool yet fiddly, and when the paint splatter stopped so did this, then it went to a plastic guide...the paint i always deemed real cool, because no two frames were ever the same, and as a young boy that ate slept and breathed bikes back then, i always wanted a custom built frame but sadly at this time couldnt afford it, and after going to several races and seeing that all the frames, with different splatter paint, kinda made me feel that i was half way there.......lol. i know that the tbg was a collection of guys, and that also the canadian imoprter is still today called the tbg, but after finding out that the marin frames of the same era were made by the taiwanese bicycle group, it does kinda beg the question did this company also weld the early frames before paul brodie did his brazing too them....someone in taiwan made them, it seems like a very big coincidence to me......and i long to find this out..........thank you again for your info...... greatly appricaited.

(P.S.......IF THERE IS ANYONE WITH A STEEL BRODIE FOR SALE OF THIS ERA PLEASE CONTACT ME....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:36 am 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider

Even more "Old Tat", :oops:

If you wait till this afternoon, i'll get you a pic with it wearing it's orginal tyres & seatpost. :D Needs a bit of a clean though.

Image :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next