Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:35 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 pm 
Old School Hero

Here's the pic's of my 91 cinder cone with the TBG sticker on the seat tube by the crank & the Kona sticker on the steerer tube

Post subject: Old dawes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:53 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Dude

I cant belive that you posted that picture, that looks like my old Dawes with the Chrome forks, what a machine! That was the first race held in Ernesettle Woods i think, i know we did the Saltram one earlier that year too.

Carl Strugeon too, that was always our nemesis!

I stripped the Star tonight ready to take it back to the painter to make it right. I also took out the other A/Star and took it for a little (single speed) street ride. Its so cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:57 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

What's a nice condition splatter paint Cinder Cone or Explosif cost these days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:33 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

[quote="IDB1"]What's a nice condition splatter paint Cinder Cone or Explosif cost these days?[/quot

thats a question, for me.... i dunno, how can you price your dreams and memories..lol..., havnt had a bike shop for over ten years now, but since the change in direction, my new business premises, has a lot of space sum awesun woods/forest less than 3 minutes away.....there such a massive sub culture for retro riding these days,especially out this way, its all about your own budget really, have helped a lot of friends in our little revival, build/source/refinish there bikes, and done sum amazing resurresctions, every ones taste is different as are there budget, to find sumthing relatively rare is about a lot of luck or deep pockets..lol.....but a good and accurate reserection...i.e, total frame refinish..powder coat,zinc coat, sandblast, budget for a bloody good job at say £100-150, decals can be hard, but we can do them, that said, more often than not the original frame helps, or good manufacturers help, to have one running as a new bike would, defo always advise new cable kit, brake blocks, bearings, etc, fully serviced, all wheels spot on true, sum guys really want the look too, so good s/h period tyres can be hard to find, i was lucky with mine as i swore by panaracer timbuk 2s back in the day, and our good friend jeff, at firstflyte bikes in the u.s helped out there a lot, they are making them again, and although they are the same money as a current model kevlar tyre, there still import duty to think of, sum guys are lucky and are in the right place at the right time, and find sum really clean near new stuff and can pick it up for a couple of hundred complete, that was bought by a yuppie in the eighties and never got used, but time ticks on, and the s/h markets getting bigger, checking prices and sourcing parts for these bikes, is getting harder, more people looking more people buying...prices are rising as time ticks on and stuff gets rarer too, last week i saw a set of xt thumbies make, 80quid, (nuts) i didnt pay that when new....lol...,!!!!! the best part about it for me, is seeing so many different legendary frames again, the alloys the steels the carbons, and building them up, almost re tailored to suit the new rider/ owner, if you think about all of them, and then look at the cost of a good top end bike today, to even get sumthing remotely near top of the range , prices start at a grand and go as high as 6k, building a cool mint condition ride, that rides as good and looks as good as it did back in the day, i reckon if you had five hundred quid you would end up with a real cool ride that draws admiring glances, and rides as good as good as the day it was born. im currently finishing a bontrager racelight, and gt avalanche, and a cannondale sm1000, ill post sum pics when they are finished, and you can tell me your thoughts, im quite fortunate really, got a bloody good team of pals around me, all oldskool shall we say..lol, that all chip in too, the revival rides are awsum (big shout out to sum, maverick, the forger, zippy etc),....the way we see it, what was cool then is still cool today.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:54 am 
Social Secretary
Social Secretary

A decent early Explosif will set you back around £300 judging by what the last few have sold for on here, probably a bit more on ebay..

Here's a selection of mine, now only have the 90 Explosif.. the others went to good RB homes.

1988 Explosif, 1988 Cindercone and 1990 Explosif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:02 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

The green Explosif is the one I've been hunting for a pic of for a couple of days. . very cool ride 8) . . . .

What are the flat pedals on the Cinder Cone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:20 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Hilts wrote:
A decent early Explosif will set you back around £300 judging by what the last few have sold for on here, probably a bit more on ebay..

Here's a selection of mine, now only have the 90 Explosif.. the others went to good RB homes.

1988 Explosif, 1988 Cindercone and 1990 Explosif

awesum, its so good too see sum more......seriously though, if you know of a pristine example, of an explosif, or a cindercone (TBG), thats race ready mechanically, ie spot on true wheels, all new bearings cables brake pads, that also loooks showroom, and you can provide good pictures showing no rust or corrosion, for £300 ill buy as many as you can find.....lol, i have several fellow riders in our little revival that are looking for them, and to be honest when you get there to view them most of them are hammered or rusty.........ill pay 500 if its as described above....., loving yours i must say, the greens very rare,,,,,,,thats the one for me...awesum.......p.s just noticed the green explosif, has project two forks not track two forks.interesting....if anyone can lay there hands on a 88/89 model year catalogue id love to see it....??????????????

Attachments:
mount edgecumbe 117.JPG
mount edgecumbe 117.JPG [ 68.41 KiB | Viewed 1450 times ]
mount edgecumbe 106.JPG
mount edgecumbe 106.JPG [ 46.45 KiB | Viewed 1450 times ]
mount edgecumbe 042.JPG
mount edgecumbe 042.JPG [ 64.85 KiB | Viewed 1450 times ]
mount edgecumbe 039.JPG
mount edgecumbe 039.JPG [ 56.94 KiB | Viewed 1450 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I don't think the Track 2 fork came in until the 1990 (89/90) range.

This is the 1988 (88/9) catalogue.

Attachments:
1988 brochure inner page.jpg
1988 brochure inner page.jpg [ 189.83 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]
1988 brochure outer pages.jpg
1988 brochure outer pages.jpg [ 241.72 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:32 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Anthony wrote:
I don't think the Track 2 fork came in until the 1990 (89/90) range.

This is the 1988 (88/9) catalogue.

anthony thats legend thanks for posting that, , you have filled in a lot of blanks for me.......you really have , i know this is really cheeky but would you consider selling it???????????????????

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:50 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

sinnerman wrote:
Big thanks to both Joe Murray and Paul Brodie for the work they did in the early days for the TBG. Without their input, would we have seen sloping top tubes and project 2 forks and this style on our shores quite so early??????

http://s850.photobucket.com/home/Sinnerman_2010/index

Yes:

These homegrown frames were produced as early as 1983 :wink: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next