Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:40 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

My Headtube in better detail 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:53 am 
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider

Location: In the foothills of the foothills of The Cairngorm Massif :D
mine's quite heavy on the splatter :D

......must find some decent wheels 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:41 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

On sloping top tubes, Rocky Mountains had flat top tubes until they met Paul Brodie. And the Cascade range that Joe Murray designed for The Bicycle Group also had flat top tubes. Then TBG changed the name from Cascade to Kona and Joe Murray worked with Paul Brodie on them. Hey presto, Konas had sloping top tubes.

I believe TBG was the US distributor for Marin and ran their race team. Joe Murray was a Marin team rider, hence the association with him.

Brodie was an artist before going to RM to work as a painter. There he learned to weld and then set up on his own. The 1988/9 and 1990 ranges of Kona were welded in Taiwan and shipped to the USA for Brodie to finish them (braze-ons etc) and paint them. I assume that he must have been responsible for the design of the paint work as well.

From 1991, the association with Brodie ended and the bikes were finished, painted and assembled in Taiwan. Spatter disappeared and the paintwork became plain. I expect getting spatter right isn't as easy as it looks - if you're going to have it, best to have it done by an artist.

Some credit for the plentiful supply of early Konas here must go to JP Saville, the proprietor of the importers Second-Level Sport. He imported Kona right from the beginning and told me that he was initially taking over half of their total production. He now runs Quest Adventure Sports in Worthing.

Post subject: now i want this too....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:59 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Oh hell, now i want an original TBG too....... :) damit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:00 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Colinmac wrote:
I wish i had one.

Note that I need one again hehe. Traded mine away for a early dynatech some years later.

I do remember mid-race cursing the sun tour crappy transmission as it was pre-hyperglide and used to skip like crazy.

I'd love to get my hands on a NOS one now. I take it this is near impossible?

Just thought I'd post a few pics of me on both bikes, back in the day.(shocking I know, dont laugh too hard, im embarrassed enough as it is!)

Age 15 on the cindercone, age 16 in the sport category on the explosive. I know the boys that came with me, Maverick in particular, were also there at the time and no doubt they will remember what mountain biking was like coming down the bombhole at the malvern's with no suspension! The lake leaping, the hot dogs and burgers, and all the amazing sights that we saw at the time. The offroad pro-flex brand being launched (back then just a girvin flex stem before the company became pro-flex) the orange clockwork being taken out of the the boot of a Ford Sierra estate for the first time, the specially fitted double decker bus fitted out as a showroom for claud butler and falcon bikes....remembering the claud butler cape rath in black in particular, the music, the stalls and the bloody good crack that we had.

Look forward to anybody's input and memories of this time because no doubt there was loads we have forgotten!

Attachments:
img054rb4.jpg
img054rb4.jpg [ 69.97 KiB | Viewed 1336 times ]
img053rb3.jpg
img053rb3.jpg [ 49.02 KiB | Viewed 1336 times ]
img052rb2.jpg
img052rb2.jpg [ 42 KiB | Viewed 1336 times ]
img051rb1.jpg
img051rb1.jpg [ 27.55 KiB | Viewed 1336 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:05 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I was racing at the Malverns Classics I think in 1990 / 1991 on my Cindercone. Hence the grumble about transmission on that previous post - it was on the climb.

My mate Matt also had an explosive, of which I was always quite jealous, and he raced there too.

Brilliant weekends. Dance tent, pasta, bbq, oh - and that race thing.

Anybody know of any links to the videos that were made and produced professionally. It still niggles that we didnt (or at least I dont) have any photos from that era.

Good times....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:13 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Colinmac wrote:
I was racing at the Malverns Classics I think in 1990 / 1991 on my Cindercone. Hence the grumble about transmission on that previous post - it was on the climb.

My mate Matt also had an explosive, of which I was always quite jealous, and he raced there too.

Brilliant weekends. Dance tent, pasta, bbq, oh - and that race thing.

Anybody know of any links to the videos that were made and produced professionally. It still niggles that we didnt (or at least I dont) have any photos from that era.

Good times....

Dude, Im stoked. A fellow racer on the same bike from back in the day. If you look at my picture it shows me with a snapped chain after dropping from third place against Carl Sturgeon, to tenth place. I did get a podium position and won a medal and a kangaroo poo race kit which I still have and now my little girl wears. There were videos, you are right and I searched the country as the one we bought, I leant to a friend and never got back. I do have one of the videos, not sure what year but it was very early on. I wonder if there is a way we could post it on the site somehow.....any ideas??!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Perhaps we could host it elsewhere (like vimeo.com?) and just post the link here....

Do you have a digital version of it? That would be the first step....

Worth doing anyway before VCR dieth !

Now, back to my newfound quest for a 1990 cinder cone... My one used to live in my lounge !

Decent placing that btw, i was a mid pack rider really just along for the buzz. I recall the circuit being quite long, and i was much faster on the downs that most mid pack riders were, but usually lost it all on the next climb :shock:

These are my fondest memories of cycling - a bunch of us chipped in for a vw camper so we could get further at the weekends to ride. Coupled with John's post a few weeks back about Leckhampton hill in Cheltenham, i do wonder why I ever stopped cycling for a while.

I was at Fort William during the week doing the downhill and red routes for fun, and man, do i love bikes more than ever...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

ipad double post :oops:

Last edited by Colinmac on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:52 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Cobbled together tbg firemountain .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next