Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:14 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:09 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

sinnerman wrote:
its mad i know, no offence was made ref age, i just remember being 14 at the time

I'm far too old to be offended by agre-related stuff ;)
No offence taken at all matey 8)

sinnerman wrote:
all konas are cool, and regardless of when they were made...as are voodoo, and all brodie bikes

Never heard of Voodoo until a few months back either :lol:

Quite like how the Wifes one turned out (link in my signature - need to swap the cable for the replacements I bought but it's just about 'there' I think)..

Flicked a bit further through your pics... those splatter paint bikes are flipping lush 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:28 pm 
Retro Guru

My Lava Dome's TBG badge -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

IDB1 wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
its mad i know, no offence was made ref age, i just remember being 14 at the time

I'm far too old to be offended by agre-related stuff ;)
No offence taken at all matey 8)

sinnerman wrote:
all konas are cool, and regardless of when they were made...as are voodoo, and all brodie bikes

Never heard of Voodoo until a few months back either :lol:

Quite like how the Wifes one turned out (link in my signature - need to swap the cable for the replacements I bought but it's just about 'there' I think)..

Flicked a bit further through your pics... those splatter paint bikes are flipping lush 8)

glad you arnt offended that would never have been my intention, loving your voodoo, just had a look...awesum, i bet it rides well, read sum of the comments too, and yep i agree halfords isnt the best bike shop in the world, buy im thankfull for it, i did my work experience from school there, then a saturday job, then full time for a few years before going on to manage other peoples bike shops back in the day, and my store"s cycle department employed part time uni students too, they rode all day and everywhere, as well as racing, we all did, and it was a buzz, we had sum great customers, and we advised a lot of people, mainly novices, but hey back then there were 1.8 million bikes being sold every year, and we were putting bums on seats, it was great at the begining explaining to people about 21spd hyperglyde gears that had just come out etc, upselling was easy, and people started riding the trails, and eventually upgrade too, and even start racing....eventually even halfords recognized that long term cyclists, brought in repeat business, which gave core cashflow for expansion, etc, thay had carrera and saracen back then, kona and voodoo and gt came later, at a similar time to the national revamp, and change of company colours, there were multiple buyouts of the halfords chain, whilst i was with them, the boots group, bought the chain, and then slowly after that, the bike hut revamp came, to try and spruce up the image, and directors, reailising where ever possible, employ younger cyclists, for shop floor staff..........but they were a tite company too work for.....but thats big business for you......p.s, apoligises if my ramblings are sending you to sleep, its dark, too late to ride, and im on a memory trip.........lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:46 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

PurpleFrog wrote:
My Lava Dome's TBG badge -

another tbg!!!!!! kona lavadome, awesum, you have got sumthing legendary there............looks good too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:49 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Colinmac wrote:
I had the splatter cinder cone which didn't have u-brake to the rear - would that have been a 1990 model? Bought it in Cheltenham at BikeTech after drooling over it for months whilst i saved up...

I really need a mint one now. Who here is bored of theirs ? C'mon help a brother out... :wink:

in 1990, im sure it had cantilevers, love to see a pic... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:07 am 
Dirt Disciple

I wish i had one.

Note that I need one again hehe. Traded mine away for a early dynatech some years later.

I do remember mid-race cursing the sun tour crappy transmission as it was pre-hyperglide and used to skip like crazy.

I'd love to get my hands on a NOS one now. I take it this is near impossible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:12 am 
Retro Guru

sinnerman wrote:
yep i agree halfords isnt the best bike shop in the world, buy im thankfull for it, i did my work experience from school there, then a saturday job, then full time for a few years before going on to manage other peoples bike shops back in the day

To be fair, they do seem to have an eye for nice bikes at a good price when they try, Voodoo being one example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:29 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Colinmac wrote:
I wish i had one.

Note that I need one again hehe. Traded mine away for a early dynatech some years later.

I do remember mid-race cursing the sun tour crappy transmission as it was pre-hyperglide and used to skip like crazy.

I'd love to get my hands on a NOS one now. I take it this is near impossible?

it was suntours equivalent, it was suntour or shimano back then, both fighting for the title, a little like shimano and sram today, once you swop out the rear hubs, because the shimano hyperglide freehub is different to suntour, and once the rear mech is set up correctly, the suntour indexing works perfectly on the hyperglyde sprockets, fitted to the shimano hubs, as on my explosif, a lot of early racers did it cus of the, crap gear change,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:33 am 
Retro Guru

sinnerman wrote:
PurpleFrog wrote:
another tbg!!!!!! kona lavadome, awesum, you have got sumthing legendary there............looks good too.

I love the thing - passionately, but not quite in an illegal way. A great thing about early Konas is that they often have Dupont Imron paint. This stuff is what they spray on helicopter gunships and buses. A few places in the US will spray bikes with it, but it's pricey because they stuff is so toxic you need to put on a spacesuit before you can spray. But it is very, very VERY tough. My Lave Dome had a very hard life before I got it and even a lot of the stainless steel was pitted with corrosion - the paint held up much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:47 am 
Dirt Disciple

Och I'm away to look min the for sale section lol ! .... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next