Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:20 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:59 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

legrandefromage wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
Big thanks to both Joe Murray and Paul Brodie for the work they did in the early days for the TBG. Without their input, would we have seen sloping top tubes and project 2 forks and this style on our shores quite so early??????

http://s850.photobucket.com/home/Sinnerman_2010/index

Yes:

These homegrown frames were produced as early as 1983 :wink: :lol:

i think the pic below , from another rb user, kinda puts a date on your pioneer introduction to the market place, very straight top tube, and very typically british early design, ran approx from 83/85, then the boys in brizol started work on the shape of thing to come. THIS WAS THE OVERBURYS DESIGN IN THE TIME SCALE U HAVE MENTIONED............but i suspect you are aware of this now as you have expressed an interest in buying it, how did u get on?.....it looks straight and clean, very dawes like in its geometry, or even launch model year for both the raleigh maverick and even come to think of it, original year one muddyfoxes...... 8)

Attachments:
1984 85 overburys.jpg
1984 85 overburys.jpg [ 168.11 KiB | Viewed 1096 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:26 am 
Old School Grand Master

What's that carbon Breezer doing on this thread...looks like every other plastic bike out there (gash)

Can we see some more late 80s Konas please lol

Post subject: breezer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:24 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

....hi neil, ........i posted the pics, as i felt, that it was relivant to certain comments and debate, that this thread has led to....certain comments about where product is made etc,, hence if you do read the thread there are also pics of current scott models, and although its not a steel tbg kona, the point for me in posting the pic, was breezer werent readily availiable to us mere mortals here in the uk, in 88/89, (sadly) . Joe breeze still designs and tests his own products, and races too. there has been a lot of talk stateside, and the man was constantly being ask to reintroduce his range of mountain bikes, after a 10 year break, from the mountain bike range to concentrate on other segments of the cycle market stateside. there is a real fan base for his bikes, and as you can see above he has developed the lightening team, using his own defusion tubing breezein dropouts etc, and the carbon cloud nine is his first carbon and first 29er, with his own take on the frame design and specific geometry tweaks, to make it a potential top performer, in this market segment.

for me a possible future classic, time will tell, but i just hope that someone has the forsight to import and distribute them here in the uk for the 2011 model range, i also feel if they do get to see shop floors here in the uk, it could be a retroride of the future afterall.

i thought i might post this thread for you to read (if you havnt already), you might find it very interesting, especially joes own comments.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

in the meantime i openly invite any and all retrobikers to include any comments and good pics of all konas new and old, or indeed and any bike they had from back then that they feel, holds a special place for them and would love to hear there stories about it too (as im sure others would).........ie, stunning bike of lgf...overburys...(SEE ABOVE), any dave lloyd, dave yates, chas roberts, zinn, etc etc etc, early saracen, muddyfox, specilized, cannondale even, its all about seeing all these bikes on one thread so readers can compare design differences etc around that period in time, and all on one thread......,?????????????? show us your bikes?????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:57 am 
Dirt Disciple

...sinnerman keep up the good work ...im pretty new on here as i have said and not an expert, but i will say thay i have learnt a lot, since being here, i have read this thread now at least twice,.......post what you want mate, and dont stop u started the thread after all, and im sure i didnt know that certain high end bikes came from the far east, i defo didnt know what joe breeze and that fella brodie looked like or that they were sill making bikes. and still riding.

mate the best thread ive read.

Post subject: just a simple girl.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am 
Devout Dirtbag

sinnerman im agreeing with turbo......and ive enjoyed your thread too, there seems to be an oldskoolboy network on retrobike, and im just a mere girl.................do i really fit in.......lol,

im new too, and ride a late 90s rocky mountain which i love, its alloy, with fox, xt, and xtr, but im riding my road bike a lot for work and training, and have no experience in bike building, and ive got to say how very impressed i was at your quality of builds on your konas, and really could do with some advice, on what to do next, and what would be best suited for me, i see you have helped out a lot of riders, with there builds and wondered if you could help me, i see a lot of fellas on here go out and buy a complete bike, but id like sumthing i know that fits correctly and is well specd and looks good , as well as having confidence in it, and feel sure it wont fall apart or break on first ride, i want sumthing that could be riden during the winter months to save my litespeed getting abused........any advice would be gratefully recieved...thank you miss money penny.

Post subject: for the kona fans
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:29 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

neil g.............a pic of the explosif for you............what is that lurking in the pic................could that be an Alpinestars almega xt.......??????????

Attachments:
kona and alpinestars 90s glory.jpg
kona and alpinestars 90s glory.jpg [ 121.69 KiB | Viewed 703 times ]

Post subject: ........
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Last edited by sinnerman on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: breezer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:18 pm 
Old School Grand Master

sinnerman wrote:
....hi neil, ........i posted the pics, as i felt, that it was relivant to certain comments and debate, that this thread has led to....certain comments about where product is made etc,, hence if you do read the thread there are also pics of current scott models, and although its not a steel tbg kona, the point for me in posting the pic, was breezer werent readily availiable to us mere mortals here in the uk, in 88/89, (sadly) . Joe breeze still designs and tests his own products, and races too. there has been a lot of talk stateside, and the man was constantly being ask to reintroduce his range of mountain bikes, after a 10 year break, from the mountain bike range to concentrate on other segments of the cycle market stateside. there is a real fan base for his bikes, and as you can see above he has developed the lightening team, using his own defusion tubing breezein dropouts etc, and the carbon cloud nine is his first carbon and first 29er, with his own take on the frame design and specific geometry tweaks, to make it a potential top performer, in this market segment.

for me a possible future classic, time will tell, but i just hope that someone has the forsight to import and distribute them here in the uk for the 2011 model range, i also feel if they do get to see shop floors here in the uk, it could be a retroride of the future afterall.

i thought i might post this thread for you to read (if you havnt already), you might find it very interesting, especially joes own comments.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

in the meantime i openly invite any and all retrobikers to include any comments and good pics of all konas new and old, or indeed and any bike they had from back then that they feel, holds a special place for them and would love to hear there stories about it too (as im sure others would).........ie, stunning bike of lgf...overburys...(SEE ABOVE), any dave lloyd, dave yates, chas roberts, zinn, etc etc etc, early saracen, muddyfox, specilized, cannondale even, its all about seeing all these bikes on one thread so readers can compare design differences etc around that period in time, and all on one thread......,?????????????? show us your bikes?????????

Good points there....I spotted the plastic without after seeing some of the Konas and felt let down lol

Will be interesting to see how the Breezers sell now the marketplace has changed so much over the years...more competition out there so will probabky rely on fanbase/old schoolers to fly the flag :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:40 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

hey neil thanks for the reply....i agree too, the whole market seems much bigger these day, and certainly in the last 3 to 8 years has seen a massive increase in brands certainly!!!!! 10 years ago, no one had heard of brands like felt, mondraker, ghost, lapierre, etc etc etc, and although there are cetainly more uk cyclists now than there ever was, none of the above brands have any provanance or history what so ever, big companies/chains like halfords as well, marketing there own brand products, under the name boardman for example....!!!!!!!

i think what has always inspired me about breezer bikes, is the man the history, and the detail, that goes into them, its form and function, i love the paint finish and style, but like the man himself says its just vaneer, the frame is the heart of the bike, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so few of the new companies (listed above) that are new to the market, well they have very little in the way of credentials or history, joe breeze, well he is one of the greats in my book, and is still at it, good design and the changes/tweeks in those designs have been made for the obvious reasons....to accomadate new technologies and component advancements.

its a sad fact when a product is sold on looks but it is fact none the less, it seems all the current bikes have taken what i call a "team race look" look at all the current specilized and trek ranges, all very similar, with lots of heavy graphics, big letters etc, ( that team look is there).

and although joe has kept to the classic original format, for his steel and alu ranges, what impressed me (and made me want to show the breezer cloud nine carbon pic), is the new style graphics and colourways of the 29er model shown, .........i love it myself, it really did impress me, when you have a legendary brand like breezer, with oldskool routes, it was never going to be an easy task, to keep an original look(with all its history), and apeel to a new generation.......i think if the new 2011 range follows this format, and is sold properly in the uk, it will quickly gain a newskool following especially when compared to brands like i have listed above with little or no history.

i suppose for me its a little like buying a good secondhand german car, i wouldnt want a bmw or a mercedes with no service history.

and if i had a choice between investing say 2 grand in a new bike, id buy a breezer rather than the ghost, purely down to the fact i know, its been designed/ ridden / tested/ tweeked/and retested, by someone real with decades of real world experience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20