Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:22 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:47 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

few more pics:

Attachments:
RIMG0705.jpg
RIMG0705.jpg [ 61.79 KiB | Viewed 1256 times ]
RIMG0704.jpg
RIMG0704.jpg [ 99.75 KiB | Viewed 1256 times ]
RIMG0703.jpg
RIMG0703.jpg [ 126.47 KiB | Viewed 1256 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:33 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

nevadasmith wrote:
This is a great thread. :D Sinnerman your Konas are absolute beauties.

I have a 1990 TBG Kona Cindercone - bit of a speculative buy to be honest and not one of my best! (it's a bit shabby!).

I cleaned it up a bit (removed most of the stickers - which to be fair have preserved the paint) and decided to shove it into the garage loft as I had a load of projects on the go but thought I'd take advantage of this thread for some advice.

I would ideally like to keep it original (I have a full XCD groupo that is for my Nigel Dean that I can swap between these two bikes for a change every now and then).

I was thinking of cutting it back with T-Cut rubbing back the rust and depending on its location either leaving as bare metal or applying a bit of white paint then applying a new clear coat. This should preserve it and keep it original looking with a few battle scars(!)

could do with some advice on the rear brake noodle too - looks like an odd set up to me - the cable stop has broken off at some point but it was put on wonky to start with and why is it there it there is noodle right behind it?

What do you reckon? Anyone got any similar experience?

hello and thanks, for the complement too...., it looks like a good solid frame to me, it also looks like the macaroni pipe, (which is an original feature, on a tbg kona) has over time, come away from its original brazing weld point, from what i can see, it looks like its just left suspended in mid air, i would personally, take it to a good frame builder, (there are lots) and ask them to sort that for you, it wouldnt cost the earth, and would look as good as new, sadly this repair will inevitably leave scorching marks, around this repair, as the frame has some surface rust and corrosion any way, you would have to refinish it, but i feel, its really worht doing, resurrect it, they are a great ride. and refinished, it would look hot too, better than going to the scrapheap in the sky.....its a desirable size too....hint ..hint....lol :wink:

Attachments:
macaroni pipe...................JPG
macaroni pipe...................JPG [ 151.07 KiB | Viewed 1242 times ]

Post subject: the full build pics
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:04 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

just thought i would add the photos of the build to here.....too.......opens for all comments, critisism, thoughts, etc, and stories of your own project build etc.......
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114901

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65 ... urrection/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:29 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

nevadasmith wrote:
few more pics:

interesting, i notice on yours, it has a very interesting clue, to the topic of this thread......you have a sticker on your frame that says made in japan......?????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:28 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

sinnerman wrote:
nevadasmith wrote:
few more pics:

interesting, i notice on yours, it has a very interesting clue, to the topic of this thread......you have a sticker on your frame that says made in japan......?????????

I can't vouch for the authenticity of that sticker - but I think that a fair few bikes were design in north america and manufactured in Japan - some very good welding tech out there.

Loving your re-furb thread - great job - must admit when I first saw your bikes I though they were NOS or very well looked after!

Awesome work shop too - is that yours?!

Where did you get the decals from?

Thanks for the info on the 'noodle' all makes sense now!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:30 pm 
Dirt Disciple

im new, here and i havnt stopped reading about konas tonite, i would just like to add to the previous comment i thought they were new old bikes that were never used too..........im in shock really, ive realised that im getting too fat and too lazy, and i need to get my kona kilauea done up, there are so many kona fans on here, and its all been an inspiration, i was goina buy new untill i come across this site and these pages..... :shock: id also like to add that seeing the bikes raced in the beginning , then to see the sorry state that they became, well i would never had thought it was possible, to see you working on them and riding them today, kinda makes me wonder, about all the sales pitches ive had from teenagers in the shops ive been going to to buy a new one.....with only a max budget of a grand, i think id end up with nothing more than an over weight mediocre, bike........on this site i could ride a truly amzing bike :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:36 pm 
Dirt Disciple

..........do you have any suggestions, i kind off given up on my kilauea, shall i buy new/or build what i have /or try a new retro bike??????????

any advice would be gratefully recieved....???????? anybody???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:43 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Thought i better post up a few pics of my 88' Cindercone & Explosif.....
Better late than never i guess.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:13 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Drewson wrote:
Thought i better post up a few pics of my 88' Cindercone & Explosif.....
Better late than never i guess.... :)

i love your pics.......having the two both from the same year too....stood together like that.........they look stunning, i wish mine ended up, not rusting as bad as they did, the pictures on my thread really didnt show just how bad it was, my explosif especially, the black hid a hell of a lot, if i ran my hand across it all you could feel was rust :cry: i wish i had taken better care of them and then i wouldnt have felt the need to do it, but i tried to get them as accurate as humanly possible......i had also forgotten how good the geometry, was amazing to ride all over again, i think they got it spot on, (the combination of steel and the frame angles) but they do say we share the same sort of terrain over here, as there.....maybe thats what it is??????

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114901

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65 ... urrection/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:56 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

turbo wrote:
im new, here and i havnt stopped reading about konas tonite, i would just like to add to the previous comment i thought they were new old bikes that were never used too..........im in shock really, ive realised that im getting too fat and too lazy, and i need to get my kona kilauea done up, there are so many kona fans on here, and its all been an inspiration, i was goina buy new untill i come across this site and these pages..... :shock: id also like to add that seeing the bikes raced in the beginning , then to see the sorry state that they became, well i would never had thought it was possible, to see you working on them and riding them today, kinda makes me wonder, about all the sales pitches ive had from teenagers in the shops ive been going to to buy a new one.....with only a max budget of a grand, i think id end up with nothing more than an over weight mediocre, bike........on this site i could ride a truly amzing bike :D :D :D

thank you for your comments, , they were my race bikes in the begining, and sadly i did hammer them :oops:
as for the shops today.......well, i did go to a shop the other day and see a trek hardtail, looked very impressive, from a distance black lots of racey team looking graphics, discs etc, hydraformed frame......from where i was stood, and being black it looked carbon fibre, (it pricked my interest as carbon like steel is my other favorite material for frames) so i eagerly took a closer look, i was mortified.....!!!!! it weighed a ton, i think it cost £1200, the main gearset was ok, but all the finishing kit, was pretty sad, it really did look the part but was absolutely shocking when you got close, a lot of corners seemed to have been cut, to get... i dunno maybe the price down or the profits up... :twisted: i wasnt sure, but the tubing was massive, and looked over kill to me, !!!! would love to hear others opinions on this marketing madness....to be honest.....?????????

i did think the pic i put on of the kona, current steel bike/s was a attractive proposition if buying new, i think it was about £800, good steel frame package deal, with enough good bits and room to tweak and up grade a few bits and bobs, and i bet it rides better than the trek and less money too....???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next