Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:26 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:13 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

sinnerman wrote:
Anthony wrote:
On sloping top tubes, Rocky Mountains had flat top tubes until they met Paul Brodie. And the Cascade range that Joe Murray designed for The Bicycle Group also had flat top tubes. Then TBG changed the name from Cascade to Kona and Joe Murray worked with Paul Brodie on them. Hey presto, Konas had sloping top tubes.

I believe TBG was the US distributor for Marin and ran their race team. Joe Murray was a Marin team rider, hence the association with him.

Brodie was an artist before going to RM to work as a painter. There he learned to weld and then set up on his own. The 1988/9 and 1990 ranges of Kona were welded in Taiwan and shipped to the USA for Brodie to finish them (braze-ons etc) and paint them. I assume that he must have been responsible for the design of the paint work as well.

From 1991, the association with Brodie ended and the bikes were finished, painted and assembled in Taiwan. Spatter disappeared and the paintwork became plain. I expect getting spatter right isn't as easy as it looks - if you're going to have it, best to have it done by an artist.

Some credit for the plentiful supply of early Konas here must go to JP Saville, the proprietor of the importers Second-Level Sport. He imported Kona right from the beginning and told me that he was initially taking over half of their total production. He now runs Quest Adventure Sports in Worthing.

thanks for that info...i remember second level sport, never new the proprietors name, i wonder after looking at the post of your first edition catalouge, did he import brodie too, in the years to follow. I always had a steel brodie catalyst on my wish list, but my local shop owner told me they were unavailiable...???????, also paul brodie welding braze ons makes a lot of sense too, as im sure the macaroni pipe for the rear brake cable always looked cool yet fiddly, and when the paint splatter stopped so did this, then it went to a plastic guide...the paint i always deemed real cool, because no two frames were ever the same, and as a young boy that ate slept and breathed bikes back then, i always wanted a custom built frame but sadly at this time couldnt afford it, and after going to several races and seeing that all the frames, with different splatter paint, kinda made me feel that i was half way there.......lol. i know that the tbg was a collection of guys, and that also the canadian imoprter is still today called the tbg, but after finding out that the marin frames of the same era were made by the taiwanese bicycle group, it does kinda beg the question did this company also weld the early frames before paul brodie did his brazing too them....someone in taiwan made them, it seems like a very big coincidence to me......and i long to find this out..........thank you again for your info...... greatly appricaited.

(P.S.......IF THERE IS ANYONE WITH A STEEL BRODIE FOR SALE OF THIS ERA PLEASE CONTACT ME....)

antony...............i wondered if you had any more info on wether or not second level sport imported brodie alongside kona, back in the beginning?

im stuggling to find this out, i do have the clear recolection of the kona catalogue having kona on oneside and brodie on the other, as is posted on here, and i did have this and have torn my house apart to find it, but to no avail, i wondere if you had a source for this information?

Post subject: velo cult
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:26 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

velo is very cool, but it aint no Maverick, we all bought (well our parents did) from either the local Halfords or the local Raleigh Dealer, we didn,t dare step into a real bike shop at 11/12, that was like going to the staff room in school during break and asking for a teacher, way to scarey!

Post subject: Re: velo cult
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:08 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

maverick wrote:
velo is very cool, but it aint no Maverick, we all bought (well our parents did) from either the local Halfords or the local Raleigh Dealer, we didn,t dare step into a real bike shop at 11/12, that was like going to the staff room in school during break and asking for a teacher, way to scarey!

dude you are so right there, hardcore roadies, i remember them well.........do you remember joining the cycle club, right at the beginning......a bunch of young hungry enthusiastic bike riders....we turned up...on our mountain bikes and got looked at as if we were just let out of the mental hospital, and we suffered that for years, always being looked down upon and they sat in one corner and our little group sat in the other.......did these stupid tw*ts not reilise mountain bikes were here to stay, and was not some passing fad. Ironic really as the main cullprits for this snobbery and elitism, were Chris and richard B. they ran a shop, for roadies, they soon ended up selling nothing but mountain bikes......it must have choaked them.....lol........afterall, its all bike riding at the end of the day. and like most serious privateer racers back then, we rode our road bikes and trained bloody hard.....the road fitness gave a mountain biker who raced a little edge i thought.......my case in point the peugeot boys at malverns back in the day.....what were there names..........i rekon if its got too wheels ride it. its all cool. 8)

Post subject: remember them all
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:37 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

yeah dude i remember them like the chicken pox that i had when i was 7!!
Shame they didn't allow there minds to be open and accept that times move on and some new stuff comes to the fore, it doesn't take over it all stands up to be counted individually.

I took the Rockhopper out in the rain tonight after a tough day at work, got soaked through but the bike performed faultlessly and i loved it. Only a short ride through the lanes (that where basically rivers) and back across the park, it was very refreshing.

what you got your eye on at the minute.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:07 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

glad you are enjoying the rockhopper bigman,....and its sad to say but i think the rains are upon us.......lol.....if it gets too bad look for a phone box.....lol....lol......lol...lol

been shutting the firm down for an hour dinnertimes from this week, and taking the bikes in the woods....lol....its been a blast, set up a short circuit like we did in blue bell woods back in the day.....lol.....the stop watch is working overtime, and god aint i got old.......lol....so far this week, ive bent the front wheel of the explosif.....but thankfully i was able to true it up, then decided the next day to take the cindercone, a little small, but i ran it like a dual slalom bike....f**king awesum....still love the way it rides, although you can see the big difference in the quality of the tubing used.......lol.........broke the freehub body on the r/wheel yesterday, so came back and swopped it out for another, it did well really, im pretty sure it was the original one, 20 years aint bad....rock on shimano.....lol........ :D

as for whats next......i dunno....bonty and cannon are pretty much done, still got the custom paint sadoff in the loft, in a box covered in bubble wrap, from the shop days, never got built, i call it the one that time forgot, lol, cus i didnt even know it was there till i went looking for that ground control tyre for you.......lol....i"ll get around to it....sumtime, but as its not a merlin rip off, got find another good fork with a 1"steerer, and as its still in shop race team colours, id want it to be a little special, (i wonder how many of the old team still have em kicking around...lol,) saw paul only last month and hes still got his, hes never repainted it, and he rides it all the time, i think he said he will be in the uk, next month so perhaps he"ll join us for the ride, if you could make it too that would be awesum..

been spending more time working on the special project :wink: to be honest...made some good headroom with it this week actually, i think we are nearly there so watch this space...... :D :shock: give us a bell bigman and ill fill u in on the progress so far, or send me a private msg.

untill then stop eating all the sweets, and stop looking at tits on your computer, both are nice but no good for you........lol....... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:53 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

maverick you have probably seen this, but i had to bring it to your attention just in case............sitting at the back of our maths class, flicking, stuff off our rulers at other kids in front, was what kept us amused, untill the fate full day this magazine was launched......and then how many times did the mag get confiscated because we spent more time reading it then actually doing maths????????????????????????...................lol....good times.. :idea:

the first edition too...

Attachments:
mbukissue1.jpg
mbukissue1.jpg [ 64.77 KiB | Viewed 1349 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:32 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

sum pics of current (2010/11) steel framed konas.....specificaly for the uk ..............sweet..... :D

Attachments:
blink_lrg.jpg
blink_lrg.jpg [ 231.3 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:34 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

nice....... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:22 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

a potential bargain to be had.....looks all round good, just a few changes.........velocity stem.???????

but from the preety rubbish pics the paint looks good and its a complete bike........?????????????????????????????????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0466944793

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:45 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

This is a great thread. :D Sinnerman your Konas are absolute beauties.

I have a 1990 TBG Kona Cindercone - bit of a speculative buy to be honest and not one of my best! (it's a bit shabby!).

I cleaned it up a bit (removed most of the stickers - which to be fair have preserved the paint) and decided to shove it into the garage loft as I had a load of projects on the go but thought I'd take advantage of this thread for some advice.

I would ideally like to keep it original (I have a full XCD groupo that is for my Nigel Dean that I can swap between these two bikes for a change every now and then).

I was thinking of cutting it back with T-Cut rubbing back the rust and depending on its location either leaving as bare metal or applying a bit of white paint then applying a new clear coat. This should preserve it and keep it original looking with a few battle scars(!)

could do with some advice on the rear brake noodle too - looks like an odd set up to me - the cable stop has broken off at some point but it was put on wonky to start with and why is it there it there is noodle right behind it?

What do you reckon? Anyone got any similar experience?

Attachments:
RIMG0701.jpg
RIMG0701.jpg [ 98.46 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]
RIMG0699.jpg
RIMG0699.jpg [ 107.48 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]
RIMG0697.jpg
RIMG0697.jpg [ 75.8 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]
RIMG0694.jpg
RIMG0694.jpg [ 151.04 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next