Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:25 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:47 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Colinmac wrote:
Can i just add the comment to the thread that im looking for a really REALLY nice Cinder cone, should someone need some space in the shed :D

what size do you need and what sort of budget did you have in mind????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I need a 17 ideally or an 18. Budget well no real idea. I've not seen a fully built on sale in forever. I had a mtrax ti 4000 nos sell for around 250 a year or so back.

But really the nostalgia is deep with the cindercone. I don't want to build one up, just want to ride one....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:41 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Colinmac wrote:
I need a 17 ideally or an 18. Budget well no real idea. I've not seen a fully built on sale in forever. I had a mtrax ti 4000 nos sell for around 250 a year or so back.

But really the nostalgia is deep with the cindercone. I don't want to build one up, just want to ride one....

There was a 1990 Splatter with Suntour XCD that sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago, went for £122 and was a size 18, strong money for a 20 year old bike.
I'll quantify the reasoning for strong money as a 1991 Muddyfox Sorcerer Mega only made £72 at the weekend and a 1989 Sorcerer made £90 a week before. The Sorcerer was a similar level to the Cindercone.

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:41 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Colinmac wrote:

a good pal of mine has a real sweet one, the model year on from mine, first of the cantilever models, right size too, i havnt seen him for a fortnite, but there was talk of him selling it to make way for carbon...his is pretty mint too, hes spent a few bob on it mind, timbuk 2 tyres cost him 80 from the us, syncros post flyte ti saddle, nos xt pedals, and as with all properly maintained bikes, rebuilt back wheel with hyperglyde sprockets xt rear hub etc, new cable kit, bearings grease, syncros period grips, etc, and even the shocking impact headset(which were truly a nightmare to keep tite, if you rode hard and long) has been changed to and nos xt unit, ......it is a beaut, but as you say the nostalga thing is there, but then, with this one the paint is lush, hes always polishing and he is an ex race mechanic, so maintained, to tip top condition, ill try and get hold of him and see if he would part with it and for how much. ( my father is a wheel builder, and i cant remember if he built up the rear wheel for him as well as doing a snowflake for the front wheel, but i know the wheels will be spot on, and very cool if that snowflake, did get done...) :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:50 pm 
Dirt Disciple

See if you can look into it. It may be a bit too dear for me - but the XCD one from '90 was the very model I would have longed for....

If I'd damn well seen that I'd have been bidding. If I said that I'd happily stretch to 180 or 200 say, I'm hopeful I can add one to my brood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:52 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

drcarlos wrote:
Colinmac wrote:

There was a 1990 Splatter with Suntour XCD that sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago, went for £122 and was a size 18, strong money for a 20 year old bike.
I'll quantify the reasoning for strong money as a 1991 Muddyfox Sorcerer Mega only made £72 at the weekend and a 1989 Sorcerer made £90 a week before. The Sorcerer was a similar level to the Cindercone.

Carl.

i saw that one, it did look tired though, but it was cheap, but it did need refinishing in places, lots of the parts were wrong,......i suppose its what you want really , if you want a cheap bike with the right geometry, it would be fine, but if you wanted a minter, that was fully serviced and race ready shall we say, that was pristine enough to hang on the wall like art, as well as ride, id say you would need to spend a lot more than that, ,,, bere in mind a lot of privateer racers used then back then, and because of the history behind them, there is almost and underground cult following for them.....my advice buy one before they become extinct, and if it needs resurrecting to its former glory.....do it, and enjoy doing it.......its well worth it... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:54 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Colinmac wrote:
See if you can look into it. It may be a bit too dear for me - but the XCD one from '90 was the very model I would have longed for....

If I'd damn well seen that I'd have been bidding. If I said that I'd happily stretch to 180 or 200 say, I'm hopeful I can add one to my brood.

no probs ill ask the question and keep you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:20 pm 

sinnerman wrote:
drcarlos wrote:
Colinmac wrote:

Carl.

i saw that one, it did look tired though, but it was cheap, but it did need refinishing in places, lots of the parts were wrong,......i suppose its what you want really , if you want a cheap bike with the right geometry, it would be fine, but if you wanted a minter, that was fully serviced and race ready shall we say, that was pristine enough to hang on the wall like art, as well as ride, id say you would need to spend a lot more than that, ,,, bere in mind a lot of privateer racers used then back then, and because of the history behind them, there is almost and underground cult following for them.....my advice buy one before they become extinct, and if it needs resurrecting to its former glory.....do it, and enjoy doing it.......its well worth it... :D

This one didn't look that tired and looked like it was correct part wise, even down to the crappy x-press self destructing shifters! I've seen a lot worse advertised.

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:25 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I was that 'privateer racer' on a stock 1990 splatter Cinder cone...

Hence my need is great. I'm happy to compromise if I can't find a shiny one, and buy a nice M-Trax (which is what I replaced the cinder cone with) but I'd rather my Kona, since my original sat in my lounge opposite my sofa and I just dribbled over it a LOT... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:21 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Colinmac wrote:
I was that 'privateer racer' on a stock 1990 splatter Cinder cone...

Hence my need is great. I'm happy to compromise if I can't find a shiny one, and buy a nice M-Trax (which is what I replaced the cinder cone with) but I'd rather my Kona, since my original sat in my lounge opposite my sofa and I just dribbled over it a LOT... :oops:

lol..lol......lol.....thank f**K for that i thought i was the only one.....lol, dude, if i do a new build it sits in my study, and i play music and read, untill i can ride it.........lol.........i cant ride a wreck either, it would kill me to have a nice bike, thats been abused and ruined by a person/people that havnt looked after it, its hard these days cus they are now getting on a bit, but even back in the day, i had to work so hard to get the money to buy these bikes, id ride all day, get it back, jet wash it, lube it, look over it for the next ride, not in an anal way just trying to look after my kit, and get the use from it, without it having to cost me stupid money to fix sumthing cus it wasnt looked after properly. (i was heavier than most...lol)..........some of the bikes on ebay, have been been well looked after, or they got bought and stuck in the shed for the next 20years....get one of these from sumone who dosent value it any more and hey presto a really cool retro ride for no money.......but most have had a hard life , chain suck, leaving a bere frame, heavily scratched, eventually leading to corrosion, original chain sprockets etc, and worn out brake blocks, seized cables, in need of new grips, worn out tyres....etc...etc...etc, and these small things all add up, specially if you go to a local bike shop and not do it yourself, im sure you all know this already, and im really not tyring to get anybody to suck eggs, honestly im not, ive just helped out so many people, they buy there dream bike take it out of the box, one ride and its on its knees........i dunno because it old is no excuse for it to be a ride a wreck, it for me would just ruin the whole experience... :twisted:

Attachments:
2747715939_fba0b43698_o.jpg
2747715939_fba0b43698_o.jpg [ 21.52 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next