Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:35 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:20 pm 
Retro Guru

I think A-Pro might have made Marin frames in the early 90s, but I wouldn't put money on it :) Sometimes there's a stamp in the dropouts that'll tell you. There was another manufacturer that made loads of different stuff but I've forgotten the name.

(I'm in the UK).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:28 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

maverick wrote:
Mad cow ref = 'Team Hot Pies' if my grey matter serves me correctly.

I'm sure they used to ride around moo'ing at people as some kind of gimmick. All seemed very funny in those early days of UK MTB races.

Sinnerman, how about the NBS that we where part of with the Guys that roade the Tushingham and Bear Valley in Plymouth. The NBS was the reference to the then, New Blue Smarties!

Very retro indeed

Has anyone on Retrobike got a tushingham?

""""hot pies"""""""" dude i couldnt remember that earlier,,,lol,,,,,i think my grey hair must cover that part of my brain...lol......and the nbs, two i remember "dobin" and "rob"........and yeah i would love to see a "tushingham b52 again"......... in fact whilst we are all here, i would love to see a muddyfox courier(white with yellow stickers, if its got a plastic yellow disc that would be awesum) a muddy fox explorer yellow with black decals, a tushingham b52, a 1988/89/90/91 zinn, mini fillet brazed, may well have come with campag centeur or euclid, possible availiable in royal blue or baby pink...not sure what year i saw this at the malverns...lol...or even a genuine paul sadoff built rock lobster (before the trek style high jack/buy out of the brand name for marketing purposes by the mail order giant merlin here in the uk.......?????

Attachments:
bubbles at 11 already wanting a bigger bike so she too can do the real thing..lol.JPG
bubbles at 11 already wanting a bigger bike so she too can do the real thing..lol.JPG [ 190.7 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]
awe but it does fit .....honest,,,,,lol....x.JPG
awe but it does fit .....honest,,,,,lol....x.JPG [ 170.69 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]
L.E doing the rocky thing.....lol.jpg
L.E doing the rocky thing.....lol.jpg [ 154.79 KiB | Viewed 709 times ]
File comment: maverick i had to post this pic, now my boys 14, and this was in ernesettle woods, i can believe hes now doing the wild thing.lol......a bloody strong climber.......x it must be all the nbs, hes been eating.lol
kurt doing the wild thing for the first time.jpg
kurt doing the wild thing for the first time.jpg [ 71.41 KiB | Viewed 712 times ]

Last edited by sinnerman on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:29 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

MikeD wrote:
I think A-Pro might have made Marin frames in the early 90s, but I wouldn't put money on it :) Sometimes there's a stamp in the dropouts that'll tell you. There was another manufacturer that made loads of different stuff but I've forgotten the name.

(I'm in the UK).

its good to talk, about this stuff, i keep having beer mat moments...lol...cheers for all the good imput too, so r u in the bike trade now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:25 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

May be able to help with the Muddyfox Explorer if the wife agrees.

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:56 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

drcarlos wrote:
May be able to help with the Muddyfox Explorer if the wife agrees.

Carl.

what youve got one for sale?????????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 am 

Nope, possibly buying one reserved for me at the moment pending the conversation.
Have come close to buying 3 bike in 3 weeks with the first one being a TBG Cindercone which I remember getting a great review from MBUK BITD. Thought it would complment my Kula nicely, but if I am honest it wasn't enough of a 'want' to justify the expense at the time, though now reading this thread that maybe changing.

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:53 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

drcarlos wrote:
Nope, possibly buying one reserved for me at the moment pending the conversation.
Have come close to buying 3 bike in 3 weeks with the first one being a TBG Cindercone which I remember getting a great review from MBUK BITD. Thought it would complment my Kula nicely, but if I am honest it wasn't enough of a 'want' to justify the expense at the time, though now reading this thread that maybe changing.

Carl.

i know what is like ref buying bikes, lol......with ref to getting yourself a cinder cone, buy, it, build it, ride it, i have a few different bikes retro and modern, and those early konas still ride right, and still looks good today, my first ride out, after them seeing daylight after 15 years or so was a month or so ago..... a load of us were on a retro ride one evening , just messing about, like we did back in the day, we bumped into a few of the fellas, from my bike shop days that still ride, and i havnt seen for way over ten years, and they couldnt believe it....we spent as much time talking as riding......lol.......the tbg certainly got it right back then, i would recommend the ride to anyone......they should be on the retro cool wall thats for sure......... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:13 pm 

sinnerman wrote:
drcarlos wrote:

Carl.

i know what is like ref buying bikes, lol......with ref to getting yourself a cinder cone, buy, it, build it, ride it, i have a few different bikes retro and modern, and those early konas still ride right, and still looks good today, my first ride out, after them seeing daylight after 15 years or so was a month or so ago..... a load of us were on a retro ride one evening , just messing about, like we did back in the day, we bumped into a few of the fellas, from my bike shop days that still ride, and i havnt seen for way over ten years, and they couldnt believe it....we spent as much time talking as riding......lol.......the tbg certainly got it right back then, i would recommend the ride to anyone......they should be on the retro cool wall thats for sure......... 8)

I need to find some local retrobikers, my best mate who I would have gone riding with is now out in Afgan for a year so I am alone as far as ride partners go. At the moment I am happy having the choice between modern and Retro and like to ride both for different reasons.
The Explorer has come up at a time when I psycologically have the money for it, it's one I always wanted and ticks a lot of want boxes too (Suntour Group, Old, Slack angles, Tange Frame, U-brake and did I mention Suntour Group? :)) . The Next purchase is a long way off as it's a biggie, a Yeti FRO with XT or an Attitude in Dolomite with XC-Pro or Campag, I reckon it will cost me about a grand and will be only an occasional rider.
Kona's are nice, I love the designs and my Kula is great but they don't evoke the feelings that some of the other stuff does and I have to be realistic with limited space, time and money.

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Can i just add the comment to the thread that im looking for a really REALLY nice Cinder cone, should someone need some space in the shed :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

drcarlos wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
drcarlos wrote:

Carl.

I need to find some local retrobikers, my best mate who I would have gone riding with is now out in Afgan for a year so I am alone as far as ride partners go. At the moment I am happy having the choice between modern and Retro and like to ride both for different reasons.
The Explorer has come up at a time when I psycologically have the money for it, it's one I always wanted and ticks a lot of want boxes too (Suntour Group, Old, Slack angles, Tange Frame, U-brake and did I mention Suntour Group? :)) . The Next purchase is a long way off as it's a biggie, a Yeti FRO with XT or an Attitude in Dolomite with XC-Pro or Campag, I reckon it will cost me about a grand and will be only an occasional rider.
Kona's are nice, I love the designs and my Kula is great but they don't evoke the feelings that some of the other stuff does and I have to be realistic with limited space, time and money.

Carl.

i know my wish list is huge, ive always been a little attached to steel bikes though i must say, i keep seeing alsorts of stuff that, that hold fond memories for me, but space is now becoming a problem.....lol....and how many retro rides can i justify, to the chancellor.....lol......

we are quite lucky here, there is a big group, new and old, and all are welcome, why dont you post a topic on here ref, rides in your area, and start your own little revival, you may suprise yourself, there are lots of people out there that ride from back in the day, and we all have one common interest.......oldskool cool........................... 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next