Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:13 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:46 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

:lol: I don't think age is relevant (what with me being 44 an' all)...

Only looked at MBUK for the first time in (probably) '92 and bought my bike (Kona.. Cinder Cone) in '93..

Wish I'd have seen these earlier ones though.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:52 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

89 / 90 model to be precise :lol: The 88/89 model has rear U brake as yours does.

Its one of my fav bikes in my collection, It rides and handles like no other and can take a good thrashing.

Was out on it at the weekend giving it some stick :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:06 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

We had sloping top tubes before the Kona ;)

There should be quite a few threads on TBG/Kona/Brodie and their relation to Rocky Mountain

Though any good hard information is much appreciated and you'll find the cats in the Archive, though if you can make better copies please do :D

As for the oldest bloke here to mountain biking, I doubt it we have some of the originals here :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:14 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

IDB1 wrote:
:lol: I don't think age is relevant (what with me being 44 an' all)...

Only looked at MBUK for the first time in (probably) '92 and bought my bike (Kona.. Cinder Cone) in '93..

Wish I'd have seen these earlier ones though.. 8)

its mad i know, no offence was made ref age, i just remember being 14 at the time, and shimano had introduced the 21 speed hyperglyde gears, my previous bike was an 18 speed muddyfox courier, i nearly bought a mfx explorer in gold, and then saw a 21 speed equipped raleigh ozark, i think the first 21 speed mtb in plymouth actually, as raleigh had them first, i bent the forks in the first week, 6 weeks later the boys and i did the regular tour de plymouth( a monster ride round all the bikes shops at the time, there were nine at the time, and collect all the new bike catalogues, when i arrived at the shop window this bike was just being hung up, and it was as i said on the botm entry.... totally revolutionary to me, i think it was the sloping top tube , the muddy foxs, stumpjumpers, gt"s, cannondale etc, were still using straight top tubes and u brakes on the bottom, we were in awe as it had straight forks too, where as the other top end brands were using curved.....i bought it, rode it, raced it, broke it, and loved it, i had a fasination with tubing, and loved steel, and still do.......all konas are cool, and regardless of when they were made...as are voodoo, and all brodie bikes, if you look very close they are all very similar in geometry, as they were either built/ designed by joe murray or paul brodie..........i just feel that geometry suits our great british terrain..........!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:24 pm 
98+ BoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner

Everytime i set my eyes on an early splatter U braked Kona it makes me want one!
Love the Cindercone especially, very cool!.. it's certainly a personal favourite from that time 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:27 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

FluffyChicken wrote:
We had sloping top tubes before the Kona ;)

There should be quite a few threads on TBG/Kona/Brodie and their relation to Rocky Mountain

Though any good hard information is much appreciated and you'll find the cats in the Archive, though if you can make better copies please do :D

As for the oldest bloke here to mountain biking, I doubt it we have some of the originals here :D

there are lots of threads you are right and yes paul and joe did do work for rocky mountain , that is so in your face to see, its untrue, my daily ride is a 20th anniversary blizzard which rides so similarly its untrue, and yep im in total agreement its awesum and far better build quality, i think paul now teaches frame building whilst running flashback fabrications, i was led to believe and i could be wrong, both paul and joe did a lot of work with rocky mountain, at the beginning....before going off and doing there own thing, what ever the time frame, and the logistics of the money men behind the firms im just bloody glad they did there thing, because without these boys imput, i /we woudnt have the awesum rides we do, i think we are all on the same page here.... :D lets just say the geometry is awsum..........

Attachments:
mount edgecumbe 117a.JPG
mount edgecumbe 117a.JPG [ 68.41 KiB | Viewed 1120 times ]

Last edited by sinnerman on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:34 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Aeronaut wrote:
Everytime i set my eyes on an early splatter U braked Kona it makes me want one!
Love the Cindercone especially, very cool!.. it's certainly a personal favourite from that time 8)

thanks big man, it always takes me back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:34 pm 
Old School Hero

Interesting my 91 cinder cone has the TBG sticker at the bottom of the seat tube would this mean I have a Kona/Brodie built frame :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I had the splatter cinder cone which didn't have u-brake to the rear - would that have been a 1990 model? Bought it in Cheltenham at BikeTech after drooling over it for months whilst i saved up...

I really need a mint one now. Who here is bored of theirs ? C'mon help a brother out... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:57 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

sweety wrote:
Interesting my 91 cinder cone has the TBG sticker at the bottom of the seat tube would this mean I have a Kona/Brodie built frame :?

as i understand it, there was a change in the companys, shall we say strategy, and also a overlap period from using tbg headbadges to kona....
.....post a cple of pics and let me see im really intregued........got to be honest i spent a lot of time in the trade, both owning a big bike shop/race team/manufacturing,imports etc, and years later i was passed a book, called the tbg(which stood for taiwan bicycle group)..it was filled with products displaying all sorts, including a section of frames, they still are, a big oem manufacturer for big bike business today, i have always believed, the tbg to be the manufactuer ( builder of the frames), what the tie up was, with joe murray paul brodie and kona id love to get to the bottom of it...i really would.....but what i can say was, in that very book i did see examples of teflon coated marins, eldridge grades etc......??? i think the bike shop owners at the time told us tbg stood for the bicycle group because, mountain bikes at that time were just breaking ground and becoming more expensive here in the uk, and taiwanese bicycle group may have cheapened the brand sumwhat,(bearing in mind that every bikeshop we went too was very road orientated, especially at the top end of the market, expensive road bikes where hand built in italy england etc).....i could be wrong, who knows but all those involved at the time, all i know is, im thankfull for it what ever the collaberation, or big business deals, between them were, because they brought excellent product to market, via this brand and others including voodoo rocky etc, and the knock on effect of this design has a trickle down effect which can still be seen on bike designs at all price points today, and after 20 years, the ride is still exceptional...... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next