John Tomac, not only an iconic rider

Rich

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
But damn, did he get to ride some nice bikes...

One of my favourites

John Tomac's almost unique C-26...

Attachments

• tuckerTomac_Yeti_Final_1ws.jpg
    tuckerTomac_Yeti_Final_1ws.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3,105
The one you have pictured there is a replica...belonging to mtnwing/Tucker.

A nice spread on it on yetifan.com.

Pretty amazing detail on that thing. Very cool indeed.

shame about his personality. he was my idol as a nipper. met him a couple of times and i was gutted to find out he's a tosser.

lovely bike though!

ringlatron":3evqjl96 said:
met him a couple of times and i was gutted to find out he's a tosser.

hmmm - i met him a couple of times too at Plymouth and found him to be okay! maybe he didn't like you? :LOL:

this was after the heyday - in a professional capacity and he was generally unpleasant to everyone involved in the project.

maybe he got old bald and jaded - still an amazing rider though...

I have known John for over 20 years, and he is a great guy. This thread is the first time I have ever seen any negative comments on him, and they are made by people who do not know him and have only met him briefly.

People in his line of work and with his notoriety have to deal with a lot of strangers asking for some of his time. He only has so much of it to give, especially if you talk to him when he is at work, i.e at a bike race.

My dad used to say, "There's nothing a busy man needs less than someone who isn't busy."

Why don't you see whether David Beckham wants to hang around and chew the fat with you, then get back to me and tell me what he's like.

hi repack rider what was it like riding downhill on a repacks going stupidly fast back in the day ive seen the pics and film clips since i was tiny as my old man was a pashinote rider (not any more the lazy git alwas working) and living in suffolk (flatter than a pancake) alwas wanted to know but never had the chance to experiance it from dan :cool: :cool:

We met JT at one of ditributors open houses and he was great. We brought our NOS Raleigh Tomac replica and hung it in the Kenda booth. Funniest comment of the day was when two shop rats came up to look at the bike and said "it was too bad the Tomac isn't here to see this"......while he was standing 2 feet away from them. He even won the tricycle race later that day.

cannondale king":1r0o1hya said:
hi repack rider what was it like riding downhill on a repacks going stupidly fast back in the day ive seen the pics and film clips since i was tiny as my old man was a pashinote rider (not any more the lazy git alwas working) and living in suffolk (flatter than a pancake) alwas wanted to know but never had the chance to experiance it from dan :cool: :cool:

First, even though we were the first to take up the sport in a big way, most of us were already pushing 30 years old at the time. No way we could ever be as good at it as kids who started young.

The total number of riders who ever raced there was about 190, and a lot of those were only at the last race in 1984, when we started 95 riders.

The last two Repack downhill events were the first sanctioned downhills ever to take place. The regular bike racing community wanted nothing to do with downhill, so we had to start our own league, NORBA.

Riding Repack was the most terrifying thing I ever did voluntarily.

If you want to discuss this, perhaps we should start another thread.

Back