XTR thumbshifters

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Now - Doug on this forum says he came across a guy on a Cannondale with XTR thumbies. He reckons these were legit. I believe him in this case.

Anyone else come across these before?

jez-2-many-bikes":3nw5hdi1 said:
Now - Doug on this forum says he came across a guy on a Cannondale with XTR thumbies. He reckons these were legit. I believe him in this case.

Anyone else come across these before?

Whoah. News to me if true, sounds jolly interesting. What group / era we talking. Closest I recall is the mounts a few pro racers had (Furtado was one IIRC) allowing them to run thumbies on m900 levers.

yo

as the bloke never came back to me im screwed with out them.

working at mikes bikes in cambridge on sunday, ermm must be 2 years now ago, an austrialian bloke with his missis come in wanting to sell there old cannondale for a trade in on a new bike, he bought in his bike nice reto cannondale 3 series, along with xtr thumbshifters, as ive not seen a set before obviously i was curious and questioned him, they was basically the same as the xt with diffrent top caps & rubbers, he said he bought them in asia around 93/4 era while traveling and payed around 80 dollors for them. (wishing i had a camera phone at that point) i thought nothing off it untill i asked jez, alas not heard off them,

my boss didnt want the cannondale for a trade as it was tatty and the aussie man wanted more than a trade in is worth so i said would you sell it privately to me, he said sure took my number & email address i took his emailed him and never got back to me, emailed 3 times.

i was gutted he never got back to me, so apart from me, my boss this aussie bloke (and his missis) i have no info. :(

Top caps for thumbies are pretty commonly available on the bay, Given that they were from Asia, I reckon the guy got skanked. If there were XTR thumbies... We'd know about it :)

You cant get done for fraud if your knock off is misspellt, orr nver exsisteded.

Wait this is a great idea for a build. A complete bike of knock offs.
Better than my idea about a complete bike of the worst inventions of all time.........no that still sounds good (frame is full sus Trek tennis ball, Girvin stem, Brown electric trans......ooooo it just goes on and on)

they made some prototypes before junking them in favour of a market release of the rapidfire or whatever it was called as i recall...

So who's going to do some XTR top cap mock ups - I bet if we got some printed off on decent vinyl there would be a few people who'd go for them (just for fun).

Back