Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:49 pm 
Old School Grand Master

a good friend of mine was a courier in london & is now a courier in vancouver, so I can sympathesis :D
he was knocked off once (out of many, many times!), lying on the floor collecting himself, picked himself up, "wheres my oakleys?" someone had nicked them while he was spread eagle :evil: nar, I dont miss london!

Post subject: Re: Am i the only one
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:36 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

tintin40 wrote:
As soon as i get on the bike i become possessed. I have to go at full speed. And god help any body or thing that gets in the way. If anther cyclist goes past me then its :twisted: Maybe its the London affect? :lol:

London effect? No Way - it´s warp speed or don´t bother for me wherever you are!
I once let my guard down and chilled out for five on the way home and some dude took the opportunity to pass me :twisted:
My overtaking manouvre raised the bar in terms of brilliant insanity. I would describe it here but I would render myself susceptible to prosecution!! I imagine that he stopped and stared in horror. He may still be there, traumatised! :twisted:

Another time however, due to lack of calorific intake, I bombed just as I reached the last hill before home. The look on the face of the girl passing me on her 200 quid Halfords special will haunt me ´til my dying day....... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:45 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hey TallPaul, I suffer the same problem in Cambridge. I think it's exacerbated by the fact that a lot of the traffic moves slower than I am capable off. That being said i'm back to cycling after quite a long time and while the speed is still there the stamina leaves something to be desired.

The main problem in Cambridge is the other cyclists - too many foreign students who have no clue.

Rob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:49 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

The good thing about stamina and Cambridge is that there are no hills. I live at the top of the only slope in town and it constantly amuses me the number of people that need to get off and push when i don't even need to drop in to the middle ring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:12 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

No Hills!
I used to cycle to Addenbrookes for years over Granhams hill!So there is one at least ...oh and the one on the chalk pits is pretty much life or death situation! :cry:
BTW I had an experience with a fox or something big down a little foot path one night...I had no lights..frightened the sh*t out of me :shock:
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:36 pm 
East Midlands AEC
East Midlands AEC

I have secret races... the casual observer will not note anything unusual, however any other cyclist tries to overtake me (especially roadies), then I get in their slip and stay there pissing them off for their very temerity! :twisted:

Did it once to a fella on a Kona who overtook me, I was on my San Andreas at the time, oh, and I had my kid on the back in a child seat, I kept up with him, possibly putting my child at risk of his life (!) until he gave up and said he couldn't stay in front...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:11 am 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Is that the one that goes towards the Shelfords? That is a pretty nasty climb, i was refering to the City centre :wink:

Post subject: Re: Am i the only one
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:48 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

tintin40 wrote:
If anther cyclist goes past me then its :twisted: Maybe its the London affect? :lol:

That is me passing you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:56 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Yep the one to the shelfords!
Looks like Mount Everest after a hard days work!
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:01 pm 
Dirt Disciple

That would be limekiln way I think. Right next to where I work and part of my intended lunchtime route once i'm up to speed again :D