Different spoke pattern

fuzzywig

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Lets see some of those alternative lacings... I'll start 32 hole hybrid crows foot

IMG_1950v2.jpg

Ringle SuperDuperBubba, DT Revs. DT Alloy nipples, Mavic XC717

I had a rear wheel built up once in a shop. Asked them to do it 3-x drive side and straight non-drive (ie weight weenie stylie) When I picked it up it had been done the other way around.
Shop guy went into long poncy diatribe about his extensive experience in competative cycling and that was how the English bla bla team all did theirs.
I kept looking into the rear shop for laughing mechanics. Eventually I just paid for it and left. I have never seen or heard of this ever.

Anybody?
Honestly never noticed the difference and it lasted as long as usual.

Mavic still do it.

The idea is to get the radial spokes in as high a tension as possible which allows for better wheel balance due to more consistent spoke tensions.
"The spokes are radially mounted in pairs on the free wheel side, and are therefore tangent to the axle for greater strength and better transfer of energy. The spokes are crossed on the side opposite the free wheel. All this on a specially designed hub".

ksyrium_es.jpg

iso_1.jpg

Personally I think it's marketting Bo//ock$ and always build tangent drive side as this stresses the hub less and builds a stiffer wheel under sprinting loads.

Well looky there. So the guy wasn't giving me a load of bollocks.
It only took six years to find out....oh and the shop is now closed.
I have to say that after years of weight weenying (I am a recovering addict [eye twitch eye twitch]) around with my wheels I have them 3X. The strength is just to apparent and the weight difference is what (oh thats in weight weeny zone[eye twitch eye twitch])?

Excuse the crappy photos but this is my Ambrosio/DT/Hope snowflaked front wheel - currently on the Popcorn Blizzard which is being built up for the missus:

RIMG1276.jpg

RIMG1277.jpg

Had the wheel built around '96ish I think, only had to true it once or twice.

Spinergy carbon spokes and hubs !!! Fancy looking but a little frail under my 17st weight !!! :LOL: :LOL:

Still, better than the Spinergy Rev X I used to have which blew you off the bike with a cross wind !!!

Attachments

• Coral reef att 4.jpg
    Coral reef att 4.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,861
Back