Anyone ever removed the spring assembly from Pace RC36's?

If they're anything like my earlier RC36s you need to push something thin (like a paperclip or piece of wire) in to a small hole to prevent the rest of the internals from rotating while you unscrew the spring stack.

Best to ask Tim (justbackdated on the forum) though, cos they could be totally different, or I could be totally wrong :!:

Tim'll fix it. :idea:

Just cover the adjuster ass with rag/hand and compress the forks and the preload ass and spring stack should pop out!
:shock:
Sounds like its just got a bit stuck :)

PC2 Spring stack

Yup, try rc300's compression idea, if that fails then i use a 4 or 5mm diameter long rod inserted through the hole in the bottom of the spring rod. It needs to be long enough to be able to push it all the way in to the underside of the preload screw with about 4" sticking out. When fully inserted[matron], tap the end of the rod carefully with a hammer, this should free the top cap; watch for the edge catching in the circlip groove on its way out tho. You will find that the top inside section of the stanchion is rusty; clean up with a bit of scotch or fine wet/dry before reassembly :D

Hmm; giving away trade secrets now

You could of course send them to me for a full 'original factory' service ;) [/code]

Thanks Tim, looks like i'll be off to the hardware store to get 18" of 4mm rod cut :)

Whilst i've got the expert on hand... How easy/hard will it be to remove the steerer from the same forks? There is a lot of corrosion around the the steerer/crown but i haven't cleaned it up properly to investigate how superficial or otherwise this is. Any tips for removing the old one/fitting the new steel one?

Shouldnt need to file back the lip; if the top cap is inserted/removed straight there should be no trouble. Best clean up the internal surface of the stanchion to help it. Steerer is a press fit [on assembly crown is heated and steerer fitted with a hydraulic press] and cannot be removed. If you want the corrosion safety checking i can do that for you :D

justbackdated":3qrnkrol said:
Shouldnt need to file back the lip; if the top cap is inserted/removed straight there should be no trouble. Best clean up the internal surface of the stanchion to help it. Steerer is a press fit [on assembly crown is heated and steerer fitted with a hydraulic press] and cannot be removed. If you want the corrosion safety checking i can do that for you :D

Steerer can't be changed?

That's a fat lot of use then. It would have been helpfull if Pace had told me that when i spoke to them about it :(

So, what Pace forks can i pick up 2nd hand that have removable steerers?

I need 245mm of steerer and all the ones i've seen for sale have had about 210mm tops.

Also, For Sale: Pace RC36 ProClass2 forks, bought in error :(

Back