Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:35 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Retro part Etiquette
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:37 am 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

I’m trying to source parts for my ’94 Clockwork build for when it gets back from its beauty treatment.

If I were to get all the parts within that year group I’d have to find a whole load of M737 kit to build it with.

How important is it to you guys to get the right year parts for the frame and to have all the parts from that year??

Alison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:26 pm 
East Midlands AEC
East Midlands AEC

it's not - but I'm not an obsessive or perfectionist... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:52 pm 
Retro Guru

Not important in the slightest.
Backintheday I would build my bikes with a mix of original equipment, more modern upgrades and older but better stuff. From the spec of my Vit T2 it's clear I still do this.

I can see the appeal of having a full 1994 groupset on a 1994 bike, but my 1994 Clockwork ended up with 1996 bits 'cos we would always replace worn out stuff with what was new...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:55 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

My bikes are the reverse. I have a 1998 Clockwork with 1992-1994 bits and a 1996 Pace with 1994 bits on, 'cos I like the old bits. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:50 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Personal taste really. I guess I'm trying to head in the general direction of having the parts match the frame but I often get sidetracked by shiny bits that I prefer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:31 pm 
East Midlands AEC
East Midlands AEC

I think of it like hi-fi separates - just coz Sony make a good CD player, say for arguments sake (no idea if that's true!), doesn't mean their amp is any good - so I've never had separates of same make - I just go with what works best...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Well I have one bike that I am trying to do correct to the era and another that is a mixture. The mix bike is more about the look of the parts and how they blend or sit with the other items (I know get a life doofus).
The interesting thing is how you can believe that some bikes almost dictate their spec then pow someone puts a kooka rasta stem on a Klien purple fade adroit.....no maybe not.
Sorry what was I rabbling about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:39 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

To each his own.

For me personally, I prefer my bikes period (at the very, very least era) correct.

Old frames with all modern parts make me cringe. Especially modern forks on old non-suspension corrected frames.
New frames with old parts don't make sense to me either.

If you give yourself 1-2 years in either direction for the parts, it shouldn't be too hard to put together a nicely built bike that looks pretty correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:13 am 
Retro Guru

In reality it doesn't really bother me too much as long as the build is in the spirit of the frame or bike as a whole. If anyone can pick the difference detween a M739 and M737 or M900 and M910 rear derailleur from a 2 metre distance then they may want to re-evaluate their life anyway in my opinion. ;)

I only really get picky if someone claims they're bike is correct and it's obviously not - and more about the claim than the bike itself.

If I had to pick something I'm not overly keen on, it's seeing new suspension forks on older bikes. ie new REBAs of MY1997 frames, but if they're happy who am I to judge as my converted single speed is obviously not period correct. ;)