Makara MTB Park ride..gotta love the Kiwis

Rich

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Another day off, so I thought I'd check out Makara Peak MTB park, about 30 minute drive from home...well, I wasn't disappointed, 20kms of singletrack and a trials area to play in...yeay...just made me realise I'm not as fit as I used to be, but heck, I still had alot of fun going around..enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• Chainring Tree.JPG
    Chainring Tree.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,443
  • On way to Makara Peak.JPG
    On way to Makara Peak.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,442
  • Rich round the bend.JPG
    Rich round the bend.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,438
The skills area was empty when I got there thank god, so making a pillock of myself on the see saw wasn't as embarassing as it could have been.. :LOL:

Attachments

• Seesaw 3.JPG
    Seesaw 3.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,437
  • Seesaw 2.JPG
    Seesaw 2.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Seesaw 1.JPG
    Seesaw 1.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,435
  • Skills area, Makara MTB Park.JPG
    Skills area, Makara MTB Park.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,434
Bloody long drag upto the peak, but the view was well worth it...

Attachments

• Back home after a long day.JPG
    Back home after a long day.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,432
  • Where shall I go today.JPG
    Where shall I go today.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,431
  • Singletrack Heaven, Makara Peak.JPG
    Singletrack Heaven, Makara Peak.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,429
  • The only way is up!.JPG
    The only way is up!.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,428
That looks great. Who was the mystery photographer or do you have a tripod?

Where in NZ are you?

that sea saw looks a lot tamer/safer than when I last rode it, seemed to pivot both down & sideways at the same time :LOL:
yup, its a good little park, espically being so close to downtown. the 1 narrow ridge off the highest point is pretty cool, as is the switchback s.track to the road at the back of the park :D

Makara Park is excellent MTB'ing - i remember some good weekends heading off to it. It's bloody hard riding tho - I don't think there's a flat section anywhere and the scenery is awesome with the view over to the South Island. There's also some awesome rides from the Windmill down to Red Rocks in that area.

I still rated the mtb park near Auckland the most in NZ - the singletrack trails are the best I've ridden anywhere in the world (Rotorua, Coed y Brenin, Afan)

Nice pics`

And long time no talk. Back from our world trip and visited retrobike for the first time in 6 months. Been busy blogging at benkepes.wordpress.com

See you at Mak peak sometime!

Deffo Bennz, lets hook up at some stage!!

John >> Trusty ol' tripod for these shots, but broke the bast@rd coming down the ridgeway track...d'oh, in Wellington at the moment mate, been here since Jan 2006 gaving emigrated from Kent...lovin' it! (if that's not stealing it from the MacDonalds ads)

Scant >> Yeah, the seesaw was pretty tricky, saw it first off and thought it would be a piece of pi$$, but it took a few times to nail it..heh heh

Richard >> Park in Auckland sounds pretty cool, where exactly was it...?

Rich

Latest posts

Back