Black runs on fully rigid retro...?

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Ok, so a mate has invited me to the Kona Mash-Up at Glyncorrwg at the weekend and I'm rather up for going - however, he rides a modern Kona DH f/s and is doing the Technical category, which includes the Whites Trail black run downhill...

I have a '92 Marin, fully rigid, with cantis. I don't do drop-offs, rock gardens, steep stuff, etc.

Am I going to:
a) Crash
b) Get in peoples' way
c) Die
d) Be fine as long as I take it easy and let people past
e) Be sampling Welsh hospital food

Mildly Concerned, of Surrey.

Make sure your brakes work and you are confident but not over confident - you dont have to do what they do.

dont bother if its wet

Walk the course first if you can

Keep the bike on the ground

Lower the saddle slightly for steep bits

Take your time - you may be surprised.

gradeAfailure":2g92bz6a said:
Am I going to:
a) Crash
b) Get in peoples' way
c) Die
d) Be fine as long as I take it easy and let people past
e) Be sampling Welsh hospital food

Yes :LOL:

Ever the optimist...i am going for

C.

:D

Seriously though..its all about taking your time, and knowing your limits..and the bikes.

Go fo it..you will regret it if you don't try....and think of the kudos you will earn if C. doesn't happen

K

Good stuff - my main worry is holding up faster riders as it's a timed section...

Still, would I earn plenty of man-points for doing it? ;)

Yup D seems right but fit fattest gnarliest tyres you have at the lowest psi you can get away with just for a wee bit more security and fresh grippy brake blocks. No shame in walking sections in my book which is also the retro way to do it ;)

Went down most of the downhill at Cannock rigid on my rocky mountain.

Most of it is ok, it's the drops that get you as you're already so low at the front anyway. It's quite easy to go over the bars :oops:

yep, I did.

If you're going down the steep tech part of the course and pass by a bearded fellow in white robes covering his eyes as you careen by, you may be in trouble.

Back