Running only 8 speeds...

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
Anyone on here only run 8 gears?

I'm thinking of running the Pace on a 32t up front with either a 12 - 32t or 11- 28t 8sp cassette.

Anyone else run similar? How do you find it off-road?

I've been thinking about doing this as it seems like a good compromise twixt gears and singlespeed.

Seems to me that a 32 chainring with an 11/28 cassette gives a ratio spread good enough to give you a good workout on the steep climbs but still pick up the pace a bit on the downhills. Drops a bit of weight aswell.

my second bike had 8 on the back for ages and it works really nicely - got me up and down pretty much everything in the peaks. my first bike is a singlespeed tho! :D
i ended up running one of them nasty dmr front mech things tho to make sure there was no chance of the chain dropping.

Time to dig oot the DCD's then!

Or you could run a new hope SS hub with a range of 3 sprockets :D

rc300":27eaxjpb said:
Time to dig oot the DCD's then!

Or you could run a new hope SS hub with a rang of 3 sprockets :D

Chain tension shouldn't be a problem, just run a shorter chain ;)

Plus i couldn't bare the noise of a DCD :)

I've got a lovely dura ace rear mech sat around doing nothing so this weekend I'll convert the Zaskar to 8 soeed and let you know how it goes... I'll be your guinea pig :)

And yep, I ran inner tube on my DCD back in the day aswell!

Tallpaul":ccdcj032 said:
i seem to remember having a loop of inner tube on mine :roll:

mine wore so much i replaced it with a cotton wheel infilled with epoxy resin ... not exactly light weight...nor quiet....nor infact functional, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Back