Is it a bit mental to talk to strangers about retro bikes?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Occasionally see this girl on an old Quantum in a lovely neon green paint when we stop together at the crossing of Tower Bridge (her on bike - me on foot - prob doesn't help) and always want to compliment her on it and ask about it a bit...

...but you know how Londoners are and city dwellers in general not talking to each other etc...

so does it look a bit mental to do so?

Or is that what places like this are for? To keep us all in one safe place where we can all 'jibba jabba' to each other all day and not look (that) mental.

There's a girl at the gym I go to who has an RC100 as a commuter bike with bullseye cranks etc etc. she caught me checking it out once and definitely thought i was thinking of nicking it (which I would if it was bigger). tried to have a chat with her about it but she was not convinced by my Retro interest story and avoids me like the plague ..

I also complimented an older lady riding a flare red '91 Klein Pinnacle with chrome fork and MC1 stem/hbar combo for her nice bike when we were waiting in the traffic lights.
I then explained that I have 2 old Kleins myself.
She gave a me an odd look and told me that she's never going to sell it while pedaling away. Guess she thought I wanted to buy her bike. Have to say though that the flare red looked marvellous in the sunlight.

I regularly see a guy in flack jacket, flouro waistcoat, hardhat and boots riding his Cannondale Delta-V on the way to work.

No interest in talking to him mind

Hmm never easy, but if she looks approachable or fit, why not! :)

Apparently i look like i'm on the look out to nick bikes, i'm just looking!

And speaking to strangers, sad isn't it. we're happy to do it here but on the street, too dangerous. either putting up with daily small slice of embrrasment or at worst, getting beaten! quite rare, but i did get punched on the nose once on my chrome (then getting retro) BMX when i was 12 for telling a rough kid on a 16" wheeled raleigh wildcat once that i liked it :roll: :oops: :(

MadCowKev":1fa2ds69 said:
I regularly see a guy in flack jacket, flouro waistcoat, hardhat and boots riding his Cannondale Delta-V on the way to work.

I came to the conclusion the other day that there is something not quite right with people wanting to wear combat/ camo gear in civilian life. - I wouldn't chat out of the blue maybe.

I also came to the conclusion that although I kind of think it's good not to and makes for a better world etc, I don't trust people that don't swear. I like swearing. I'm good at it.

;)

Wu-Tangled":zh0dfg72 said:
MadCowKev":zh0dfg72 said:

I also came to the conclusion that although I kind of think it's good not to and makes for a better world etc, I don't trust people that don't swear. I like swearing. I'm good at it.

;)

now thats a class line :D :LOL:

Wu-Tangled":a8yv4x0d said:

;)

Too right my good man, agree with you wholeheartedly.

leeww":2stnfxoo said:
Wu-Tangled":2stnfxoo said:

;)

Too ******* right.

LOL :LOL: the mods are gonna love you ;) :LOL:

( :LOL: yep Scant, funny!)

I personally have issues with people that don't drink.. I believe you never truly know somone until you've got p*ssed with them. i know this is probably quite juvenile but it's the only creed I live by...

I also used to think that people who smoked were cooler than those who didn't... but since i gave up I've reversed that opinion. Classic comment by a mate of mine when I gave up the Malrboro's was

'Why would you give up the one thing you excel at....???'

I guess lung cancer would be the answer ......

Back