Pushing retro beyond it's limits?

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
After work ride tonight. :cool:
Been using the stealth black 'O' as my regular ride lately, mainly because I really enjoy riding it. Perhaps it was a healthy competitive streak in me, but the 'O' was pushed hard in pursuit of my mate's Omega Ti on familiar dry trails, picking some choice lines and kicking up the dust........

Then this happened....... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Final 2km race back to the carpark, sweeping corner, pick the tighter inside line, wheel 'collapses', straight over bars, pride dented but teeth intact.

Before the ride, the wheel was true - I always check this with canti brakes! It was handbuilt by a reputable wheel builder in Colchester with a NOS rim and stainless spokes. Personally I don't think any fault lies with him, but more with myself for riding 'retro gear' as hard as the disc wheels of my 'modern' stuff. :roll: Bearing in mind that this is an exact copy of the set-up I had when I was 16! - I'm thinking it's down to the fact that modern allows me smash though the sort of stuff that BITD would have required a bit of 'Finesse'

The Tyre is still fully inflated and still on the rim BTW!!

Does this mean my retrobike status should be 'Retrobike rider' or 'Retrobike wrecker' ?

Your thoughts?!

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• 101_0281 (600x800).jpg
    101_0281 (600x800).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2,322
  • 101_0280 (600x800).jpg
    101_0280 (600x800).jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 2,322
  • 101_0279 (600x800).jpg
    101_0279 (600x800).jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2,322
  • 101_0277 (800x600).jpg
    101_0277 (800x600).jpg
    110 KB · Views: 2,322
Thats just got to be bad luck :?

I ride battered 2nd hand wheels and ride with zero finesse on rough trails and have not had a wheel failure as extreme as that. Bust spokes, dented rims or busted axles on occasion but never anything like yours.

Keep riding as you like, thats just a freak I reckon ;)

:shock: lucky not to hurt. perhaps the fault of the rim? if not the builder.

Woooooo, Pretzled!

Isn't a non-disc hub supposed to build into a stronger wheel than a disc hub, or am I making that up?

doesnt matter if it was 'retro' or not, its a bent wheel, regardless of the bike or rider attached, its still a bent wheel...

it could have happened to any one on any bike.

legrandefromage":2jrdg0y5 said:
doesnt matter if it was 'retro' or not, its a bent wheel, regardless of the bike or rider attached, its still a bent wheel...

it could have happened to any one on any bike.

True. I've flat spotted a modern rim. First time i've ever done that. Never BITD
Nice bike :cool:

i would say that is a dodgy rim.

i have seen rims occasionally do that, my old boss used to say it happens when a rim isn't formed properly and basically doesn't want to stay round. he refers to them as "live" rims. also with NOS the thing is it has probably been lying around for 15 plus years possibly at the bottom of a pile of other rims depending on how they were stored.

i blame the pratt that sold you those nos mavic ma40 mb rims in the first place bloody cowboy

on a lighter not :shock: you where pushing it then to the 4 angle of extreme :cool: where the spojkes highly tensioned as ma40mb rims are softish and pingy to build (did a set saturday for chris) they do need a higher tenstion than most w.b's would think of doing just from exp :)

still blame the bar steward that sold you the rims :twisted:

Latest posts

Back