More Madness: Including my Neighbors 84 26/700 bontrager cus

williwoods

Retro Guru
Sorry guys but when I get to borrow a digi cam its off I go............

First my sons Bontrager BMX

His Name is Ian he's 9. He knows what a bontrager is. And hes trained to grab any that he sees and ride em straight home. good boy!!!!

I built this for his 8th Birthday, I had a lot of fun doing so. I never rode BMX so had to get some help with the build. I think it could use better bars and stem any ideas guys?? Dont know if the build is bmx approved either so your opinion criticism is welcomed

BMX_-_1.JPG

BMX_-_2.JPG

BMX_-_3.JPG

BMX_-_4.JPG

BMX_-_5.JPG

BMX_-_6.JPG

BMX_-_7.JPG

BMX_-_8.JPG

BMX_-_9.JPG

Ok guys

You've seen this one before(if you saw it on mtbr). But not like this:

Bontrager race build 2.0

Now added Bontrager comp rigid fork (Thank You, Sklein), and Avid cantilever brakes.

Sorry about the wheels they are the only ones to fit (barely) the comp fork tabs

Rigid_-_1.JPG

Rigid_-_2.JPG

Rigid_-_3.JPG

Rigid_-_4.JPG

Rigid_-_5.JPG

Rigid_-_6.JPG

Rigid_-_7.JPG

Rigid_-_8.JPG

Rigid_-_9.JPG

this is one I have been promising for awhile.

The story is that Lawrence Malone talked my neighbor Tom into driving to santa cruz in early 84 to get his measurements taken so some young guy living in a garage could build him the ultimate touring/trail bike.

this is what Keith Bontrager built for him.

It has mounts for 26 inch and 700c brakes. Its a bike with a split personality for sure.

Tom never rides it, recently he made a mistake and had the LBS take off the drop bars and bar con shifters. The put on a terrible flat bar and equally terrible thumb shifters (plastic) and 1990 something brake levers.

I have donated him a bullmoose nitto alloy bar and will find some better shifters and brake levers for him. He will buy the brooks saddle.

Oh and he wont sell it, I already tried.

84_bontrager_-_01.JPG

84_bontrager_-_02.JPG

84_bontrager_-_03.JPG

84_bontrager_-_04.JPG

84_bontrager_-_05.JPG

84_bontrager_-_06.JPG

84_bontrager_-_07.JPG

84_bontrager_-_08.JPG

84_bontrager_-_09.JPG

84_bontrager_-_10.JPG

84_bontrager_-_11.JPG

84_bontrager_-_12.JPG

Wow thats quite amazing! A super early Bonty obscurity with some serious use and abuse under its belt by the looks of it, love it!
Your Race 2.0 is just gorgeous too, and i'm impressed with your lads BMX! :cool:

williwoods":3aaw2788 said:

Have you tried hard enough yet, that thing must be worth a fair whack to the right person.

way too deep at that

retrobikeguy":1ost4q38 said:
williwoods":1ost4q38 said:

Have you tried hard enough yet, that thing must be worth a fair whack to the right person.
im willing to go DEEP for that one.

Ha ha ...........I could use the money but then again my bontrager collection has a big gap, ready to be filled.

Seriously He wont sell it. I have tried very hard.

will

Back