sling shot

novekili

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
What about this sling?
I tried it today and was puzzled: on road it swings like a scared owl (scared owls do swing if you are wondering). Off road it changes completely, rides really smooth, which is weird because, being the seat tube directly welded to the stays (no suspension there I mean) you are not suspended. It has gobs of traction and for some reason it seems even quite light (strange, too, since the steel top tube seems like a cut down scaffolding pipe - I'm into similes tonight ;) ).
BTW, when you pass people stare at you like :shock: . Obviously you have to insure folk that no, you didn't repair a broken frame and that hopefully it's not going to split, However, not convinced by my explainations, a fellow racer told me he wouldn't go shopping on it.
I dismantled my Yeti to assemble it: any suggestions?
Finally, I've got serious doubts about the stickers and the paint scheme. I think it's been repainted.

Attachments

• sling1.jpg
    sling1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2,531
  • sling2.jpg
    sling2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,531
I always liked the Slingshots - something about them. Never ridden one though so always interested to hear how people find them.

Don't know why, but whenever I see one I wonder what the Allsops Powercurve was like, too ...

Nice looking steed, though!

The Slingshot posted above should be a 1990-91 with the coil located at the bottom bracket.

In 1992 they went to the coil located up by the headtube, non-sloping top tube. 1993 went to the sloping top tube.

The decals should be like the bikes posted below.

If you really want to get the most out of your Slingshot, make it a full rigid single speed. You won't regret it.

I've never gotten more attention than when I've had the Slinger out. :D

slingss1.jpg

bluemhm8.jpg

I remember reading an article on slingshot bikes. They came about when the 'designer' snapped the down tube off his racer bike he was offroading on and was stupid enough to keep riding it. To his surprise he found it improved the ride in the way you've described and hence the slingshot frames came about.

I mean, I keep not understanding how this can work. At MBA they said it makes oversize tubing seem stupid.
It shouldn't work: it has no torsional rigidity but it rides like heaven on the rocks. It has a superb traction and I suppose even the climbing skills will improve after I change the stem with a 0 rise one.
As a matter of fact, I really like the riding quality.
Concerning the rigid fork, I might get one but at the moment I installed what I had. I'm not going to mount a rigid unit unless I find a straight bladed unicrown though....

I am pritty sure that your model 90/91 was designed for a rigid fork so there may be something also going on there.
You can find a limited bit of info at the FirstFlight web site and Mtb Review has some dedicated threads.
The current Slingshot Co is making some really rather ugly bikes and are not doing any refurbs of older models.
Two ex employees are around Scott Quiring and Mark Groendal. Both are making fantastic new bikes and some use the Sling principals.
I contacted both of these people about replacing the broken fiberboard on the Sling that I own and only Scott is able to do it at this time.
My bike is at his shop waiting at this moment.

i don't like the new slings either, albeit ERB are quite nice. I'll keep riding my sling and see what happens. Please let me know about yours: how much you spent, contacts, etc

Well...Mark Groendal and his brother were the original founders of Slingshot...

His new ERB is an extension of that design...but honestly, there isn't enough room in the market place for two of, for the most part, the same frame design.

IMO, the new Slingshot owners have lost sight of what these bikes are about and are having them made overseas and jacked the price on their frames. No soul.

Back