Diamondback Apex help please.......

s1monf

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This is my first post so go easy on me please!
I've just finished refurbing this Diamond Back Apex but I'm struggling with a couple of things:
Would anyone have any idea what the year of manufacture was - I think it's somewhere between 1994 & 1997?
Is there anywhere I can get original decals from?
My intention is to restrip and repaint in an original colour & decals this winter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Attachments

• IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 3,711
  • Apex before.jpg
    Apex before.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3,711
try bikepedia.com and mtb-kataloge.de

that bike is definitely more towards the 1997 end of things. the 4-arm cranks and v-brakes give that away. Also, until 1996 Diamond Back used quite a blocky decal style

Additional info

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have tried Bikepedia but the only Apex with an STX-RC groupset and is a 1997 but that has Alivio brakes and this was running DiaCompes. Also, the 97 has very different decals to this one?
MTB katalog has nothing anywhere near.

I would think that with no canti hanger on the frame, would be a '97.

Here's my '96, last with a canti hanger.

Attachments

• Apex '96 4.4.09 (Custom).jpg
    Apex '96 4.4.09 (Custom).jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 3,666
I'm no DB expert, but I would suggest that may be a 1999 bike. The 1997 bikes in Bikepedia had canti hangers and although there is no later Apex in Bikepedia, it's important to remember that Bikepedia only reflects the US catalogue. The market for steel bikes disappeared earlier in the US than elsewhere, and there was certainly a 98 Apex in the UK. It was £480 with Tektro Vs, STX-RC mechs, shifters and hubs, Alex rims, Kalloy bars and stem and WTB saddle.

The reason I suggest 1999 for yours is the decal style. If you look at the 99 Zetec on Bikepedia, the style of the Diamondback sticker is just like your original one. I assume you took close-up photos of the original decals before you destroyed them, and if so Gil_M on this site may be able to make copies for you if you ask him very nicely. He trades as thecycleshed (.co.uk)

I think it looks really good as it is though.

Back