Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:16 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Bike Of the Month - May 07
Carstens 96 Klein Adroit 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
RetroKing#1’s Pacr RC100 15%  15%  [ 16 ]
boyburnings Pace RC200 F3 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
RichieB’s ibis 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Spike’s 99 Yo Eddy 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
nutallabrots Manitou softtail 14%  14%  [ 15 ]
Pinareturns Dale 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Carstens Steve Potts 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Jezzas Stripey Trimble 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Hollisters Bonty Tourer 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
JonRocks Manitou 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Merlin boys XLM 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Ameybrooks 86 Fat Chance Wicked 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Andrewls King Kahuna 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Slims Yeti 20%  20%  [ 21 ]
FatF*ckinChances Fat 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 106
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:33 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:11 pm
Posts: 1435
Location: God's waiting room !!
cheers dude !! Its some sort of attempt at replacing my stolen one !!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:53 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:29 pm
Posts: 975
Location: NorCal, USA
hollister wrote:
i see period correct builds dont matter much to some


Forks with disc brake tabs, v-brakes, and hollowtech modern XT drive trains. What?

I'm going to submit my 2003 Ventana next month...it does have vintage tires, stickers, and a T-disk on it. :P

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:02 pm 
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:26 pm
Posts: 6191
Location: Tilting at windmills and shouting at the rain.
rumpfy wrote:

Quote:
hollister wrote:
i see period correct builds dont matter much to some


Forks with disc brake tabs, v-brakes, and hollowtech modern XT drive trains. What?

I'm going to submit my 2003 Ventana next month...it does have vintage tires, stickers, and a T-disk on it


I wouldn't worry about submitting non period correct bikes, everyone has the right to submit. Just look at the ones that win-almost always amazing, period correct(ish) bikes that just look right. I think it's fair enough to have a +/- of a few years on bits on a bike as everyone upgrades, as long as the bike still has the right vibe. I'm sure you'll never find a winner with hollowtechs/modern drives etc, but discs - why not? Mountain Cycles did 'em from day one and they're definately retro and the original Hopes are well over a decade old now. In the reverse I've just put a set of NOS Cooks on my Seven but you certainly won't find me entering that into BOTM!

Maybe we should have a Rumpfy vs Carsten themed BOTM next month, far too many nice bikes between the two of them!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:15 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:39 pm
Posts: 2568
Location: Durango CO, USA
Jez won BOTM with a disc on his trimble :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:22 pm 
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:26 pm
Posts: 6191
Location: Tilting at windmills and shouting at the rain.
Ah yes, proves my point about discs as that was a mountain cycles pro stop on a suspenders fork - a fine retro combination if ever ther was one!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:35 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:29 pm
Posts: 975
Location: NorCal, USA
pete_mcc wrote:
rumpfy wrote:

Quote:
hollister wrote:
i see period correct builds dont matter much to some


Forks with disc brake tabs, v-brakes, and hollowtech modern XT drive trains. What?

I'm going to submit my 2003 Ventana next month...it does have vintage tires, stickers, and a T-disk on it


I wouldn't worry about submitting non period correct bikes, everyone has the right to submit. Just look at the ones that win-almost always amazing, period correct(ish) bikes that just look right. I think it's fair enough to have a +/- of a few years on bits on a bike as everyone upgrades, as long as the bike still has the right vibe. I'm sure you'll never find a winner with hollowtechs/modern drives etc, but discs - why not? Mountain Cycles did 'em from day one and they're definately retro and the original Hopes are well over a decade old now. In the reverse I've just put a set of NOS Cooks on my Seven but you certainly won't find me entering that into BOTM!

Maybe we should have a Rumpfy vs Carsten themed BOTM next month, far too many nice bikes between the two of them!



True. You can't/don't want to turn anyone away from being a part of BOTM. It's an open forum and everyone's definition of 'vintage/retro/classic' is different.

I'm all for the +/- a few years as it's pretty hard to get 100% correct.
I guess I'm just seeing stuff that, in my opinion, doesn't fit on a vintage bike. Build a bike how you want to build a bike...but I don't get excited to see modern off the shelf parts on old bikes...even if they are in the spirit of retro.

As for Rumpfy vs. Carsten....he'd whoop my ass. I lack the attention to detail that Carsten has. Stellar collection he's got going.
Though I'd venture a guess that more of my bikes get ridden. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:43 pm 
Klein Guru / BOTM Winner

Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 984
Location: Houston TX
>Though I'd venture a guess that more of my bikes get ridden.

for sure. i have three bikes that i ride regularly. two of them since more than 10 years. unfortunately (or not?) i need XL bikes to ride on and those just dont look nice. i would not collect XL sized bikes because it's no fun to look at them. those i like to look at i cannot ride. has the advantage that those i like to look at are unused (mint or NOS) and clean so i can store them in the house. no garage queens here ;)

Carsten


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:39 pm 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:54 pm
Posts: 7133
Location: UK
Right!

I've had enough of these jibes!

I was very open from the outset that the Pace wasn't finished. I was just bored of hanging around until it was before I entered, I got drunk one night and submitted photos. I have also been very open about the fact that the Pace is my EVERYDAY WORK BIKE. From that I want reliability and would rather spend £100 quid on a pair of cranks that'll last for ever than £100 quid on a pair of cranks that I'll have to replace in a years time. It's just common sense and practical. I don't have the money to spend repeatedly on the same component just to appease people. Don't see the problem really. If you don't like, don't vote.

If you are in the fantastic position of being so rich as to have lots of NOS bikes that you can't even ride but like to look at on the wall, then well done. I'm very impressed.

Not sure which is the worse of two evils though really. At least my bike gets b$%£*y ridden.

I see it more a case of keeping a frame and major components going than stressing about the fact my jockey wheels might not be from 1994. Should you still run radial tyres on a vintage car, even though they don't work, wear out quickly and are massivley expensive to buy or get made up - when you could buy replicas in modern materials...? No, maybe the car should be left untouched, and bricked up on a front room...

And yes I am angry, so I won't apologise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:36 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:29 pm
Posts: 975
Location: NorCal, USA
Carsten wrote:
>Though I'd venture a guess that more of my bikes get ridden.

for sure. i have three bikes that i ride regularly. two of them since more than 10 years. unfortunately (or not?) i need XL bikes to ride on and those just dont look nice. i would not collect XL sized bikes because it's no fun to look at them. those i like to look at i cannot ride. has the advantage that those i like to look at are unused (mint or NOS) and clean so i can store them in the house. no garage queens here ;)

Carsten


Ah, you're a tall guy huh? That helps the temptation to ride a bike. Such fine NOS examples, I can see being left untouched. I have a couple that I won't ride either...but still not as nice as what you have.

House kept is a bonus! :D


All my bikes fit me...and are just used enough that the temptation becomes too great. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:44 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:29 pm
Posts: 975
Location: NorCal, USA
BoyBurning wrote:
Right!

If you are in the fantastic position of being so rich as to have lots of NOS bikes that you can't even ride but like to look at on the wall, then well done. I'm very impressed.

Not sure which is the worse of two evils though really. At least my bike gets b$%£*y ridden.

I see it more a case of keeping a frame and major components going than stressing about the fact my jockey wheels might not be from 1994. Should you still run radial tyres on a vintage car, even though they don't work, wear out quickly and are massivley expensive to buy or get made up - when you could buy replicas in modern materials...? No, maybe the car should be left untouched, and bricked up on a front room...

And yes I am angry, so I won't apologise.



Wow, that was awfully easy to get you upset. ;)
No reason to be angry and no reason to apologize.
I don't agree with a some of the builds in the BOTM, but I'm not angry about it.
Just tossing my thoughts into the ring. Take it for what it's worth (which is hopefully not much).


I'm not rich. I'm in the fantastic position of location and have been collecting for over a half dozen years.

My bikes all fit and they get ridden. Hard. They're not all 100% year perfect builds, but close....down to the pully wheels and tires.

I like your car tire (tyre) analogy though and I agree....though I don't think we're quite there yet with vintage mtbs.
I'd run modern tires on a daily vintage rider then don the 'show tires' for the photo shoot I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: al-onestare, Bullet2bullet, Gerard, grarea, IHateRain, jesszet, JoeG, longun, losvizzero, MSNbot Media, Retro junkie, Retro_Roy and 73 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group