Unexpected find

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
My mum has been cleaning out her house and gave me a bin liner of stuff she said was mine.

I'm still searching through the old love letters, photos etc. (rather embarrasingly found an unopened packet of condoms - not sure which is worse, the condoms or the fact that the cellophane is intact) when I found a pair of immaculate Oakley factory Pilots - I knew I had a pair but for the life of me could I find them? Bar the foam brow pad they are mint and I'm sitting typing feeling rather like Arnie in 'The Terminator'.

Coupled with my newly acquired splatter patterned M Frames SSMM is going to be a eyewear extraveganza

PS Apologies for the post, my wife didn't understand why I was so happy with some huge old glasses and i just needed to share my (pathetic) excitement. Tomorrow I'll mostly be living out my Scott Molina fantasties.

I'm guessing you want a pic of the glasses rather than any of the other bits I mentioned were in the sack so here you go.

I think they date from approx 1989 and as far as I can remember were the first Oakleys, certainly the first ones to get a lot of exposure (I also had a white framed pair at one point but always really wanted yellow).

Attachments

• Oakley Factory Pilot.JPG
    Oakley Factory Pilot.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,087
Ahh, Oakley were so cool were'nt they.

What went wrong? It used to be all cool solid colours and great logos and even greater names like Factory pilot and thermonuclear protection - proper brand elitism.

and now it's all grey and black and grey again and boring glasses worn by estate agents. (no offence to any estate agents knocking about - but it ain't the same as Glenn Plake ski-ing off a mountain wearing them is it? )

;)

That Oakley logo is one of the best (would put it up there with original Syncros) and remember having a laser cut sticker on the top tube of my Klein.

I've actually got three pairs of retro Oakleys, the two already mentioned and some clear framed red iridium Frogskins.

Oakley had it and lost it - the only queston is can they get it back again on their own terms?

IMHO oakley were previously more renowned for sporting glasses. now their range is soo vast & caters for pretty much everyone... when you see something everywhere I guess you dont want them as much, oversaturated.

on the flip side their warranty is superb & the lenses quality is awesome. seems odd to remeber now, I can remeber riding with early scott glasses where the depth perception in certain light conditions was totally freaky! reacting to hollows in the ground that werent there! :LOL:

i recently found a box with some yellow m-frame lenses if you want them Ed?

Thanks Kev, already have one set of yellow lenses but culd be up for a second set, what are you after for them?

Oh yes, goggle gigs, very cool! :D

my mate always went on about these, he was oakley mad and we never ended up with a pair

*goes off to ebay...

Back