Length of stem

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Is there an average sort of measurement to get the optimum comfort in the distance to the handlebars so I can work out what stem length is best for me? I never seam to get it quite right.

If that sounds a bit weird, I'll blame it on drunkenness. Who's to know I'm not............ :roll:

Alison

In my unrealistic and bike tart like world, if it don't fit round a 120mm 0deg Zooka stem, I don't build it!

But that doesn't help much does it Alison?

:roll:

not sure if there is a rule, but I measured 6 of my bikes the other day out of interest, and the seat centre to bar centre was within 10mm for all - 2 road, FS, hardtails, flats, risers....damn I know what I like!! All set by feel alone :D

Now i'm at one with new skool (never really got the hang of long stemmed XC kit), i like a nice short stem, control feels better, i guess its a trial and error thing, try a few sizes out... :)

I've always looked at stem length as a fine tuning aid to get the best fit on an off the peg frame.

E.g. I've got short legs requiring a small frame for stand-over clearance, but I then feel a bit constricted by the shortish top tube so fit a longer stem.

reanimation":3hxuj5sz said:
Now i'm at one with new skool (never really got the hang of long stemmed XC kit), i like a nice short stem, control feels better, i guess its a trial and error thing, try a few sizes out... :)

thats exactly right.

I always seem to end up fitting 100mm stem to both my old & new bikes. their all 17 or 18" with either 22.5 or 23" tope tubes. Any reach adjustment is made on the saddle rails.

Anything longer stem wise seem odd to me... don't know if this is down to new school influence :?

sunchaser":1uzrqhqt said:
I always seem to end up fitting 100mm stem to both my old & new bikes. their all 17 or 18" with either 22.5 or 23" tope tubes. Any reach adjustment is made on the saddle rails.

Anything longer stem wise seem odd to me... don't know if this is down to new school influence :?

ditto the honourable gentleman ;)

I don't think there is a set way of working out the correct length. There's to many varients to play with.
I used to have a medium Cannondale Raven, normal layback post and 130mm stem. I bought a large Cannondale F2000 hardtail, 120mm stem and inline pin worked out at the same size as the Raven.
Like its been said you can play with the saddle on its rails to make up any difference. ;)

Back