Geoffrey Butler

BsidetheCside

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all,
Does anyone know about Geoffrey Butler mtb’s? Never seen one before. Guessing they didn’t make their own frames. I know some of their road bikes are popular. Here’s the only pic I can find of one

Attachments

• B5855114-A2E4-47B0-BA6F-5938B8F32EE5.jpeg
    B5855114-A2E4-47B0-BA6F-5938B8F32EE5.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 279
Early aluminium frames came into the uk cheap, companies jumped on the aluminium bandwagon easily by buying these in and popping their own decals and choice of groupset on them, they ranged from 200gs all the way up to XT on them but all the same frame in the same finish but a different colour, green, blue, red or gold from what I remember.

Re:

Thanks Retrobikeguy.
Looks like this one received the XT group. Maybe the grip shifters were a later addition.
Any other brands spring to mind who did this?

Re:

Claud butler was a mainstream manufacturer that bought them in, others were emmelle and townsend, many were bought in by small indendant shops and labelled up as their own. a local shop to me (now long gone) called them zimmer ........ get it?

file.php

a_my_first_mountain_bike_119.jpg

Re:

Some even found themselves Badged Lotus with a bit of chrome.... :)

Re:

A shop popped up in Edinburgh Grassmarket in the 90's punting out aluminium bikes like that in a fetching shade of metallic Irn Bru orange. Some off the peg, others custom specced. I thought them pretty cool at the time but theshop didn't make it to the 21st century :cool:

Geoffrey Butler Cycles was a shop in Croydon so it's likely to be one of theirs. The shop closed about a month ago, but it looks like they're still in business online so maybe they will have found some records clearing the place out.

Hi all,
Does anyone know about Geoffrey Butler mtb’s? Never seen one before. Guessing they didn’t make their own frames. I know some of their road bikes are popular. Here’s the only pic I can find of one
Hi,

I can shed a bit of light on this one as it was my bike originally!

My Dad built it up for me as a Christmas present, I think in 1993. The frame came from Geoffrey Butler (in Croydon as mentioned above) and was unbranded but he had the stickers made up by a sign writer he dealt with at work. He added the remaining kit himself hence the XT and Gripshift mix. I was just getting in to cycling at the time but think I took it to the Pyrenees and probably did a few cross races on it.

I got another bike a couple of years later (KHS Montana Pro which I still have) so we kept this for a while but Dad then sold it to someone he worked with. Nice to see a picture of it and looks to be in good order which is great.

Back