Anybody know what Kona frame this is??

Croftykona

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks. I just bought my second Kona frame!
It had been repainted and Kona Explosif stickers fitted. I don't think it's an explosif, but it was cheap.
So what is it? Well it's probably too heavy at 5lbs.
It has gear cable stops on the downtube and v brake cable stops on the top tube and I guess the rear one might have been added when it was sprayed as it has the gear stops on the downtube.
The seat tube is ovalized at the bottom where it meets the bb shell.
The headtube will take a 1" 1/8th headset.
I noted the QR clamp was stamped 28.8, I didn't check but presume that means the o.d. of the frame tube, so it might be a 26.8 seatpost. Should of checked and the frame is at work.
Does any Kona expert here know what it is?
Just remembered to add frame number is F21205** and there is also 3I 191 on the BB shell.
Cheers, Jim

Croftykona":ekdbceon said:
Hi folks. I just bought my second Kona frame!
It had been repainted and Kona Explosif stickers fitted. I don't think it's an explosif, but it was cheap.
So what is it? Well it's probably too heavy at 5lbs.
It has gear cable stops on the downtube and v brake cable stops on the top tube and I guess the rear one might have been added when it was sprayed as it has the gear stops on the downtube.
The seat tube is ovalized at the bottom where it meets the bb shell.
The headtube will take a 1" 1/8th headset.
I noted the QR clamp was stamped 28.8, I didn't check but presume that means the o.d. of the frame tube, so it might be a 26.8 seatpost. Should of checked and the frame is at work.
Does any Kona expert here know what it is?
Just remembered to add frame number is F21205** and there is also 3I 191 on the BB shell.
Cheers, Jim

Measured at 5lb...
puts it early and bottom end or later and bottom end.
oval-ing can be of many style on the BB.
1/8" make it 90's+
downtube stops makes it ~97 and before.
Both on downtube I'm assuming?

28.8? probably 29.8 ? Seatpost could be any size under that. e.g 27.2, 27.0 26.8 etc..

ah F212
1993 model Frame..

Honestly pictures and plenty of the details might help a lot here.
Holes in the dropouts ?

Thanks for that FluffyChicken. I scoured the forum and found it was a 1993. Could be a Fire Mountain or CinderCone. I got back to the frame which is at work and checked it will be a 26.6mm seatpost. The rear cable stop to make it v brake compatible is an added one. Would of been canti originally. Rear rack mounts are on top of the dropout. The top rack mounts are rivnuts.
Yes the gear cable stops are on the downtube.
The serial numbers are 20 away from someones Cinder Cone project and a post on the site mentions the Cinder Cone frame weighs in at around 5lbs, so thinking it might be that. It will be a nice project anyway.
Cheers.

Re:

moFZN59.jpg

sC5MaqT.jpg

ueKESYW.jpg

J232oj8.jpg

This cable stop has been added at some time.

G5dLpBS.jpg

LmkhIZp.jpg

1993, 5lbs, 19", oval on lower part of seat tube, originally ran canti brakes.
I think it should have a two tone fade paint scheme originally. Seat tube internally is 26.6mm and headset 1" 1/8th (would this of been threaded back in the day?

I would say the Cinder Cone or the Lava Dome, both the same frame.

The seatpost on the '93 is 26.6.

My 91 has the seat bolt bosses welded to the top of the seat tube, a friends 92 has no bosses like yours, so runs a collar for a QR.
More evidence it's a 92 at the earliest.

QTZxjiF.jpg

I spent a couple of hours rubbing the paint off, paint stripper is not as good as it used to be, Had a breakthrough when cleaning around the rear mech hanger and found evidence of the old colour. It had remains of a dark green, so it does appear to be a Cinder Cone.

ULcgkcU.png

How I aim to get the bike looking.

0a0fOmL.png

Back