Can anyone clear this up?

Stressed

Muddy Fox Fan
Feedback
View
Looking into recoating some Indy XC lowers. Have read oodles of conflicting advice regarding powder coating on magnesium alloy. One minute I'm thinking 'Yeah, it'll be fine' then I read something else and think 'They'll be weakened and the coat'll just fall off in big chunks anyway!'
Does anyone know?
Has anyone done it?
Help!?!

Re:

I dont have a direct answer. But, you will be mercilessly schooled and gif'd with explosions and other tales of impending doom...if you dont delete this thread.

I would ask a good, reputable coater. They will know if its possible or not.
I doubt they would risk their premises/lives.

Let us know how you get on.

Re:

Right. The lowers of Rockshox aren't strictly 'magnesium', they are an alloy with a high magnesium content. They will have been heat treated after they were cast, and have been slowly hardening further over the last 20 odd years. Powder coating exposes them to 200c for typically less than an an hour, so that won't make any noticeable difference to the strength.

Powder coating.

You want to get them clean. Really clean. Sand blasting will get them fairly clean, but it can leave a grainy surface on alu. Aqua blasting is a better bet, it's a finer finish, and is much kinder to alu surfaces.

Then mask the internal bores, pay special attention to the areas where the oil seals fit.

Then have them done. If they explode, they explode. You'll be annoyed, but not as much as the operator who will have spatter all over the nice expensive wheels he's got in the oven at the same time.

And remember, they're only Indy XCs, so not then end of the world if it all goes wrong.

Got them back from the powder coaters today. No problems. No explosions. Rather nice result :shock: :D :cool:

Attachments

• P1060902.JPG
    P1060902.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 403
Re:

Excellent, hopefully the seals will refit without any issues, good to know they didn't spontaneously combust in the oven :LOL: I might do the same with some Pike lowers.

Re: Re:

jimo746":1z9bsbyz said:
Excellent, hopefully the seals will refit without any issues, good to know they didn't spontaneously combust in the oven :LOL: I might do the same with some Pike lowers.

I was lucky enough to find someone really good (by which I mean accredited and specialized) close-by (2 or 3 miles!).
I'd highly recommend them although I'm obviously a long way from you!
I'll put the link here though in case anyone within range wants to use them...

https://gbc.uk/

Back