Early 90's mix and match groupset preference?

Re:

Pretty sure that I read the pace racing team used xc pro thumbies with shimano mechs and cassette.

I do have to say that when I had a couple of full xc pro groupsets, when compared to shimano stuff, it was much nicer functionally and cosmetically.

The hubs were lovely, grease guard, as were pedals and head sets. The proprietary freehub and cassette were the main bug bear for me, just down to finding them more than anything functional, aside from needing 2 chain whips for fitting and removal.

Brakes were also really good, weren't they dia-compe in disguise?

Personally I thought m900 shifters were rubbish. Looked nice though.

Re: Re:

ishaw":anou5pox said:
Brakes were also really good, weren't they dia-compe in disguise?

Pretty sure you are correct.
Suntour was part JEX (Japan Bicycle Parts Manufacturers Group for Export Promotion). The JEX group consisted of Dia Compe, HKK, Maeda-SunTour, Nankai, Sugino, and Taihei. The JEX members agreed not to compete with each other's products. When SunTour sold gruppos, they bought the other components from their JEX partners.
The above is per "Sunset For Suntour" by Frank J. Berto.

Re:

I remember running xc Pro Thumbshifters with an XTR rear mech and an XT 7 Speed cassette and Hub (Deore DX Hub aswell on a spare wheel). Also Dia-Compe SS-5 brake levers with either Scott SE or XT cantis.
All worked fine.

Back