Help with Topline Cranks

nporternz

Gold Trader
Marin Fan
Feedback
View
so I got a set of toplines and i have a couple of questions

they are the sls version and i cannot find any info about bb spindle length??

Id quite like to get them reanodized but I dont know if that is going to work? Does the spider come off so I can just sand and finish the arms and send to the anodizers?

thanks!

Re:

The BB is going to be on the longer side - think 127mm or so. As far as I know, the spiders are press-fit and then either riveted or bolted. Cooks RSR spiders are similar and apparently extremely difficult to remove without doing major damage. Could the spider be masked for anodising? Alternatively, anodise the lot!

Re:

Do they have a bolt or a titanium rivet holding the spider on?
If they have a bolt they are Grafton Speed Stix. If they have a titanium rivet then they are Toplines.
There’s something funny about the spider, I think it’s threaded, maybe a left hand thread, although logically it doesn’t need to be left hand so might be something else. Leave it on.

Cranks are spider are from the same series of aluminium so should be ok to anodise together IIRC. Although you will need an electrical connection to both the crank and the spider as the existing anodising on the spider and the thread lock will likely make them not electrically connected.

These are meant to be 7005 aluminium but anodise very similar to 6061 / 6061 aluminium, so will come out very bright.

Re: Re:

Rampage":29tn49nf said:
Do they have a bolt or a titanium rivet holding the spider on?
If they have a bolt they are Grafton Speed Stix. If they have a titanium rivet then they are Toplines.
There’s something funny about the spider, I think it’s threaded, maybe a left hand thread, although logically it doesn’t need to be left hand so might be something else. Leave it on.

Cranks are spider are from the same series of aluminium so should be ok to anodise together IIRC. Although you will need an electrical connection to both the crank and the spider as the existing anodising on the spider and the thread lock will likely make them not electrically connected.

These are meant to be 7005 aluminium but anodise very similar to 6061 / 6061 aluminium, so will come out very bright.

thank you!

definitely had the rivet so thanks for confirming

just need a long titanium bb now!

Latest posts

Back