Early 90's mix and match groupset preference?

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Refresh my memory team! Back in the early 90's (pre M900 XTR) I have vague memories of there being a preferred mix and match approach to what was classed as the perfect build with the best groupset being a mix of Shimano and Suntour but with a XT bias.

So what was it? My ageing brain seems to think you'd go XT thumbies, rear mech, and crankset, Suntour Microdrive front mech and hubs with Dia-Compe levers and canti's?

Obviously this was based on obtainable and reliable kit, not uber expensive exotica. Pretty sure it was MBUK that advocated the choices? Anyway, can anyone else correct me?

Re:

Yeah, that's what I remember. Pretty sure on the mechs + hubs too.....

Hope so as I have the right parts ready for a build! :LOL:

Re:

Can you run the Suntour cassette spacing with xt rear thumbies? Not sure whether 7-sp differed. Unless we are talking full friction.
My Orange prestige came with Xc Comp micro drive but used the Dia Compe SS7 with I think 986 cantis. So that was a mix and match, but without the xt shifting and rear mech.

Re:

Hmmmm, not sure about that.....

Certainly can't remember Suntour thumbies being the choice and thinking now it must have been a Shimano hyperglide hub? :?

Re:

Yes, I’ve had at least one Roberts White Spider with xt hub, cassette, rear mech and shifter etc... but only the Suntour front mech.

Yes you can run 7 speed suntour xc pro thumbies with shimano mech and cogs. Ive done it on every decent bike for the last 30 years!

Xc pro are soooooo much better than xt, there's just no comparison. Xc pro stuff is why ( imo) shimano had to invent xtr.

If they hadn't confused the hell out of everybody with micodrive and wierd cassettes and hubs, they might still be about! (I know it was a lot more complicated in reality).

But sad we lost some great kit to mediocrity.

Re:

Bitd, i had all sorts of failures of issues with early Suntour XC pro and comp rear hubs/blocks etc.

Swapped out the hub for a shimano freehub and hyperglyde cassette, running Suntour XC Pro mech and shifters and still run the Kona like it to this day. Never failed again.

Back