Brake boosters?

staytong

Dirt Disciple
Hi
I am in the process of building up a titanium frame(Litespeed), and it’s going to get V-brakes. This will be my first experience with them as I went from cantilever to disc on other bikes. I’ve read some conflicting reports on the efficacy of brake boosters, so I was hoping for this community to weigh in. I get very good input here. I’m also wondering if a bike is better served to have a brake booster on the front or the rear(if at all).
Cheers

I personally never really used them and got on just fine without.

There is definitely a case for them on frames that have a great amount of twist flex in the seat stays or forks as the force of the brake action will twist these both outward.

For me it really goes down to personal choice, I don’t like the look.

I’d say try out a cheap one, something like tectro, then if you like what it adds (there may be no noticeable difference) get yourself a nice fancy one.

Hi

V-brakes are very powerful, if the stays have any flex, steel frames for example, then the power of the brake arms will transfer to the stays and they will flex outwards losing some of the clamping power onto the rim. Therefore a booster on the back is a good idea (stops the stays moving) if you are running them on a steel frame. As for other materials, it is a case of trying the brake and seeing if they flex, aluminum should be fine. Ti, i have had flexy and stiff Ti frames so would be frame dependent.

As for forks, the same applies, if rigid and steel, again, the legs will flex with the power of the brake and you will lose some of that power.

Re:

Boosters work well on early suspension forks.
Not only as a slight extra brace, but to stop the lower rotating outwards from the pivots.

Rear, even on flexy frame I wouldn't bother to much, you'll still have good modulating brakes if you set them (and Canti) up properly.
Canti's can easily make them flex just as much. There's no difference.

Re:

I'd just fit the V-brakes and ride, get a feel for the brakes, and if you think you need a booster, or can feel or see the fork/stays flexing then invest in a booster, they're very simple and easy to retro-fit.
Odyssey U4 Titanium are nice.

Re:

V-brakes are very powerful, if the stays have any flex, steel frames for example, then the power of the brake arms will transfer to the stays and they will flex outwards losing some of the clamping power onto the rim. 

That's the science that sold them in the first place. ^^

However I've enjoyed no noticeable effects, despite the frame or brake type.

I suppose the block push will counter with the frame, but the pads get sucked
in and, rotated counter clockwise equally, clockwise also by the rim.

Would that help counter any frame flex?, I dunno nor care. Just ride.

Re:

Ive had a few frames where you can see the flex/stays push out under braking. If you like the feel of the brakes, don't worry about the booster, but if you want more power and less flex then go for one. I have a few nice ti boosters on my ti frames, shimano m950 carbon are nice too but make setting up brakes awkward as you really need to set them up, then fit the booster.

Back