Derailleur recommendation SORTED

Magpiegifts

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hey guys, looking for some advice on front derailleur selection.

I'm wanting to find a front derailleur for my Klein mantra, one that is compatible with a triple chainset with 48t large chainring.
I've never had to give it much thought before as I've not used anything above a 46t chainset before.

The Klein is a 98 mantra race so something that age or older in bottom pull flavour.

No better place to ask than on here.

Thanks in advance :)

Re:

M952 or M953, depending which look you prefer.
The 5 arm M952 crank had a 48T top ring, so was nothing to worry about.

You would normally have a granny of 26T size to keep the mechs in spec.

Re:

Actually they're not till 1999,
So M950 if you can find a good example or M900 for the normal (original style).
But M952/3 are probably a better choice.

Re:

Perfectly they hark from that 110 BCD era.
The M900 and M950/952 (5arm) chainset all came as 48/36/26 setups (and all are 110 BCD cranks).
I currently run a 48/36/24 and with an m900 rear mech you lose a few on the granny-small ring if you run a compact (11T) cassette.

900/950/952 all use 12T to 28/30/32T cassette (and 34T for 952).
But you would need a long cage for a 32 or 34 really.
(950/952 did come with 11T if you really wanted)

Still, I run 11/28 and 11/30 and just put up with the slack.

Re:

As above really. Xtr m95x are of the era and will work assuming you can mount in a standard way. I'm not familiar with the mantra but depending on the design you may need a high or low clamp if stuff is in the way.

Most older mechs should also work as they are from the days where 48/38/28 etc was the standard. It was around 96 ish where compact rings started to creep in with 44t big rings i.e xt m737. Obviously there are earlier examples like suntour and probably others.

That said you could still get xt in m770 flavour with 48t rings I believe. Not sure if this means all xt m770 front mechs would work or not.

If you are after anm95x mech, I might have one depending on band size and pull.

Re: Re:

ishaw":j36hxq03 said:
As above really. Xtr m95x are of the era and will work assuming you can mount in a standard way. I'm not familiar with the mantra but depending on the design you may need a high or low clamp if stuff is in the way.

Most older mechs should also work as they are from the days where 48/38/28 etc was the standard. It was around 96 ish where compact rings started to creep in with 44t big rings i.e xt m737. Obviously there are earlier examples like suntour and probably others.

That said you could still get xt in m770 flavour with 48t rings I believe. Not sure if this means all xt m770 front mechs would work or not.

If you are after anm95x mech, I might have one depending on band size and pull.

1994, not 1996, for Shimano going compact with XT/LX (oh and (44)42/32/22 rings)
In all reality, I don't think too much changed on the mech design profile, a bit more compact and I would assume many have had them work with larger rings, just not ideal.

Certainly, the T780/781 are designed for the same 44 to 48T chainring setup. I have no idea after that.

Look forward to the build. Personally I like the M953.

Back