Please date my Kona Caldera

Re:

With those Dropouts and that Cable Routing, it could be either 1998 or 1999.

2000 and 2001 they are Aluminium with Disc Tabs.

That is of course, if it is a Caldera - do you know the original colour?

Pip

Re:

Thanks. I had no idea it wasn't original colour, but I did wonder why I couldn't find that Colourway anywhere else :facepalm:

Looking at it more closely, it looks like it's been rattle-canned.

Can't see any remains of the previous colour, must have been stripped before spraying.

Re:

Judging by the colour underneath the blue, I think it looks like this:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=214134

Is there any value in restoring the colour back to original and restickering?

Attachments

• cablecolour.jpg
    cablecolour.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 224
  • dropout.jpg
    dropout.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 224
  • readbraketab.jpg
    readbraketab.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 224
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 224
Re: Re:

Yes, with that colour showing through it seems that your frame is likely be a 1999 Caldera.

The only other options with those Dropouts and that Cable routing are the 1998 and 1999 Explosif, and rather oddly, a 1999 Lava Dome that also had the superior New (Dew) Drop "K" Investment Cast Dropouts - but that seems less likely now after seeing the colour underneath.

fullerlee":5u7vazm0 said:
I am the last person to give advice with regards to the "value" of a Retro Bike, but you would really be doing it for yourself, rather than increasing any possible future sale cost.

Pip

Re: Re:

pipmeister":2p5f6oet said:
Yes, with that colour showing through it seems that your frame is likely be a 1999 Caldera.

The only other options with those Dropouts and that Cable routing are the 1998 and 1999 Explosif, and rather oddly, a 1999 Lava Dome that also had the superior New (Dew) Drop "K" Investment Cast Dropouts - but that seems less likely now after seeing the colour underneath.

fullerlee":2p5f6oet said:
I am the last person to give advice with regards to the "value" of a Retro Bike, but you would really be doing it for yourself, rather than increasing any possible future sale cost.

Pip

Thanks for your help. I'll move future questions about this to the 98--> forum :)

Re:

I know. I'm pricing up powder coating to see if I can get back to original. The only issue then will be an horrific colour clash with the red forks.

Back