Will a Chris King 1" Headset fit....

Laserblueexige

Dirt Disciple
As it is Xmas I thought I might treat myself to a Chris King 1" Headset for my 1995 Orange P7. So before my enthusiasm ran away with me I thought I had better check that it fits...

So my understanding is the inner dimension of a NoThredset 1" headset from Chris King is 30.1mm. With a pair of digital calipers the best ID that I can get from my head tube on the bike is 29.58mm.

This will be the first time I have purchase a Headset for a bike and whilst I know they are designed to be a very tight fit I hadn't expected his sort of difference. I am intending to have a bike shop fit it for me as I don't have the right equipment to fit it properly myself but even still .5mm seems a lot to me

Am i missing something?

Looks like yours is JIS std and probably needs Campag std for the CK
Normal interference fit is 0.1<0.2mm

Re:

Seems unusual that a ck would not fit an orange as I thought they ran the more common headset sizes?

Re:

Thanks guys for the responses....

i apolgise I am still very much an amateur here and thereforeI am not totally 'aux-fait' with the language you are using.

JIS - my understnding this relates to a Japanese standard for headsets which is slightly small than other standards for headsets. As my head tube is 29.58mm it most probably has been designed for this JIS standard as opposed to the Chris King standard for example.

Campag - is this short for Campagola and does this relate to a Campagnola Standard which is more of the size of the JIS Standard....

CK- I am at a complete loss....(got it now Chris King..LOL)

As this is proving to be alot more complicated than i initially thought and as I really dont want to get it wrong, could I ask that someone point me at a headset on the web that I could buy which would do the job based on the following;

Head Tube ID Top and Bottom: 29.58mm
Steerer tube ED: 25.33mm
Steerer race (reducer shim) ED: 26.33mm (I have Pace RC36's with a 1" steer tube and reducer shim.)

Thanks in advance....

Re:

Hi I've just built a 95 p7 and with my very limited knowledge
The 95 p7 frame I'm building came with an FSA headset which I removed
And my 95 p7 doner bike had stx rc which I've just swapped over
And both fitted / removed fine .
Obviously there not as high end as a Chris king but maybe the if you research the specs it may help.
Sorry I don't have any calipers to be any more precise

If my Head Tube is JIS Std (or EC29, specified as Head Tube Bore ID of 29.8mm-29.9mm), mine is a little bit narrower at 29.58mm and perhaps that variance is just down to my calipers.The CK 1" Nothreadset requires a Head Tube Bore of 30.1mm (EC30) and therefore wont fit

So from what I can gather if a local bike shop has a Ream and Facing Tool like the ParkTool HTR1 Ream and Facing tool which has a 30.1mm ream cutter they could increase the size of the bore so the CK 1" Nothreadset cups, fot top and bottom, fit. Effectively removing 0.26mm from the inner side of the head tube.

The 1" NoThreadset rquires a Crown seat OD of 26.5mm. Mine is 26.33 so my crown seat is a bit too small...could some strong compund glue be used?

Cant find any info on the size of steerer tube required for the CK 1" Threadset but as it is for a 1" i assume it is designed to fit the standard steerer tube OD which is 26.4mm. mine is just a little under at 26.33mm

Is my logic correct here?

You can always ream a bit the head tube. I suggest you take the frameset to a skilled wrench and let him sort the specs and tell which is it. Next you order and let him install the headset. Better to have a headset which install tight than slightly loose.

Prodigal Son":3r6iagbf said:
You can always ream a bit the head tube. I suggest you take the frameset to a skilled wrench and let him sort the specs and tell which is it. Next you order and let him install the headset. Better to have a headset which install tight than slightly loose.

Yes agreed....I will take it to the experts and confirm with them that what I think is doable is doable with a CK headset and my frame. Then order based on their recommendation and get them to fit the whole thing.

Laserblueexige":3iz1idlq said:
Prodigal Son":3iz1idlq said:

Yes agreed....I will take tit o the experts and confirm with them that what I think is doable is doable with a CK headset and my frame. Then order based on their recommendation and get them to fit the whole thing.

A tiny slight minimal head tube reamming is good when high end aluminum headsets are involved: they tend to creak on uneven surfaces. If your calipers show excess of metal that can be a good thing.

Back