Cutting a threaded steerer tube NO MORE!

Magpiegifts

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I have a threaded steerer on manitou 3 forks, problem is it's about an inch and a half too long.

So I was wondering if it can simply be cut down to the desired length?

Would this affect the headset threading onto it?

I've only ever used threadless steerers in the past

So any advice is gratefully received....

Re: Cutting a threaded steerer tube

Magpiegifts":1dqee9bn said:
I have a threaded steerer on manitou 3 forks, problem is it's about an inch and a half too long.

So I was wondering if it can simply be cut down to the desired length?

Would this affect the headset threading onto it?

I've only ever used threadless steerers in the past

So any advice is gratefully received....

If the headset still fits after cutting it down, that is the correct and official method.

If not and you need to cut more threads on the steerer, then it can be done unless the tube is butted externally (like Mag steerers) or internally (like ?)

Re:

Assuming the threading is long enough, a tip is to thread on a top nut to below the level you’re cutting, then you can wind it back up afterwards and it’ll help reinstate the nice end of the thread at the very top. Particularly good if you have a steel nut.
If you don’t have the thread, then you’ll need to cut more thread anyhow. Quite a bit more hassle.

Thanks guys,

Yes the threading is long enough, the headset is a Satellite 1 1/4" in purple lol bought nos off here. Will be upgrading eventually, just not a priority just yet.

I will upload a pic so you can see for yourself.

I really don't want to mess this up as i had to wait ages to find a 1 1/4 manitou steerer and crown that was long enough, had to import it from the US.

It's for manitou FS 96 model, which I will eventually make my first build thread on here. I've been putting off starting one tbh as the standard is quite high on retrobike. And compared to most of you guys I'm a novice .

Start it, if you want to look what mediocre to crap build threads are and can see signatures, click on mine. Some are so bad I forgot to link to them and have to search for them myself.

Basically I use mine as a dump for any info I find for my build, if other read it then that's great.

and in three, five, then years time, to remind me what I was doing when I stumble over it in the shed or loft part done.

Magpiegifts":ewlku5vm said:
It's for manitou FS 96 model, which I will eventually make my first build thread on here. I've been putting off starting one tbh as the standard is quite high on retrobike. And compared to most of you guys I'm a novice .

I agree with FC, just start it :)

I always build bikes for myself, and to ride, they are my only standards and not high at all. Some members build to a very high standard, and its great to see, but dont let that put you off building the bike you want :cool:

Re:

Thanks guys for your comments. I definitely will do it :)

Right, through a friend I've managed to source a new manitou crown and steerer tube

The headtube is 165 mm

Steerer tube is 200mm .

There is 32mm of thread .

So if I subtract 165 from 200 I should need a stack height of 35mm

Well out of my depth dealing with threaded headsets!

FluffyChicken":22uvqy7y said:
Here's some thing that may help you along the way, just old bikes in general.
The full book is there and also a few separate chapter for ease of finding.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuDkhAv29wDHgu87ynH ... w?e=gym0aJ

this is probably my most used book as it is full of technical geek info.
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuDkhAv29wDHogbP6slljqMOElOZ

and this one has some weird modern stuff along with the old, added as it's about headsets
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuDkhAv29wDHtAkauHN4EHPOw-xN

Thanks for these links

I suppose it's a learning curve, first time dealing with threaded headsets.
They're a pain in the a**e

Back