Kilauea in metallic dark-ish green? Year? Maybe 1993?

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
I used to have a Kilauea in the earlier part of the 90's - it's been bugging me - trying to remember what it looked like - it had P2s and was in a really classy fairly dark green. I can't for the life of me remember the decal colours. The green was metallic if I remember right. Some scumbag nicked it from my 6th form bikeshed....maybe 26 years ago...crikey! Which maybe made it a 1993?
I've browsed catalogues and Google images and just can't see the model in the green colour-way. Anyone any idea? Just for nostalgia's sake...and maybe get hold of another similar...maybe one of you has one and has pics to share?!
Cheers

If in the UK, ‘96 Kila’s were a dark metallic green.

‘93 Silver to red fade
‘94 Silver
‘95 White
‘97 Dark blue

TreaderSteve":3b1bt7ms said:
I've browsed catalogues and Google images and just can't see the model in the green colour-way. Anyone any idea? Just for nostalgia's sake...and maybe get hold of another similar...maybe one of you has one and has pics to share?!
Cheers

A quick Google Image search of Kona Kilauea came up with this picture of a 1996 Kilauea:

Here's a shot from my records of the non-drive side that shows standard Dog Collar for the rear brake:

Here is a link to the 1996 Kona catalogue on here, which is not the best quality. Page 29 for the Kilauea, and page 48 for the spec:

1996 Catalogue

Pip

Attachments

• 1996 Kilauea 19.JPG
    1996 Kilauea 19.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 458
  • 1996 Kilauea 18_1.JPG
    1996 Kilauea 18_1.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 457
Thanks guys, I'd seen that colourway with the pale blue decals and shade of green but they just weren't twigging. I seem to remember the green being a different shade. Perhaps memory has faded (definitely has - twas the 90's, University and clubbing beckoned!) but I'm sure it came with Shimano kit, whereas the catalogue says it comes with Curve OM cranks. I'd have to dig out my CV to be sure I was still at 6th Form in '96!
Got it from a shop in Tooley Street London and rode it back past Buck Palace back to Kings Cross to get it home to Cambridge. Shame I can't remember much more about it but it was well nice! Until it got pinched.

Re:

Late to the party... I guess it couldn't have been a 1994 Explosif instead? The colour way you describe sounds more like this...

Mostly Shimano kit as well, with a bit of Sugino and Suntour thrown in :)

Attachments

• 1994%20Explosif%20size%2018%20catalogue.jpg
    1994%20Explosif%20size%2018%20catalogue.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 421
Re:

Yes, that's the colour I remember! 100% a Kilauea though - mother wouldn't contribute that much to help buy an Explosif.
I was half-tempted to think mine was a US-import or something with a different colourscheme, but that's the shade of green I remember. Did Kona have habit of chopping about a bit with colours, maybe at end of season? Mother would definitely have recommended getting something in the sales!

Re: Re:

TreaderSteve":39dq70dw said:
Did Kona have habit of chopping about a bit with colours, maybe at end of season?
There are definitely colour variants for the North American market, and different again for other European countries. Occasionally, there was a mid season change, on some models. There was of course the gorgeous 1997 Kilauea Special Edition in colour matched (Marzocchi Z2) Blue.

As Alasdair has said though, we are yet to see an Olive Green Kilauea.

Pip

Mother recently found the receipt for a Clockwork I had prior - surprised the parents could afford it - something like £550 in 1993 maybe. If only I could find the receipt for this Kona.
Olive metallic is the perfect description though....probably never know....but my 45-yr-old mind tells me that was the colour. Defo a Kilauea, as I wasn't sure if it was Killoya or Killawaya!

Back