Do You Remember The 1990's?

Retro Bike gets a mention if you click the link in the first part
https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/theyre-rubbi ... ion-338903
I had just as much fun back then on a fully rigid bike but riding a classic now is a very different experience to riding modern. Even my first suspension fork, an RS Quadra 5, was a game changer. It convinced me that full suspension must be the future. My current stable spans 1996 to 2016 and all are full sus.

Re:

I think we had it better in the 80s & 90s, far more chilled, greater cameraderie and the bikes were more interesting too.

Agreed, the scene was way cooler back then, with builders like Brodie, DeKerf, Syncros et al. right in my backyard.

That clip of Cindy Devine is gold. Not to seal Pip's thunder as he's spotted it already but that's a 92 model Hei-Hei so presumably that was shot on a typically late British summer time!

Well, the author clearly wasn't there in the 90s, as he stated that Tioga Psychos were next best to Smoke/ Dart! Everyone KNEW Psychos were terrible. Second were Ritchey Megabites, Wildgrippers, etc.
And the writer completely forgets about WTB Velociraptors later in the 90s.

The world was a better place before xtr went to 950 w/octalink, 4arm cranksets, v brakes.. . And i even like V brakes but the dark grey signaled the end of civilization.

legrandefromage":88nrux1f said:
there were 2.3 billion less people on the planet to bump into and form opinions against

Problem is most of the opinions, pro or against, are similar. It becomes repetitive. That and social media is a bad mix.

hamster":3rj24drt said:
Well, the author clearly wasn't there in the 90s, as he stated that Tioga Psychos were next best to Smoke/ Dart! Everyone KNEW Psychos were terrible. Second were Ritchey Megabites, Wildgrippers, etc.
And the writer completely forgets about WTB Velociraptors later in the 90s.

Whomever is out there remotely thinking of buying those 350 bucks ebay tioga psychos: don´t!

Yes I remember: too many bumps even with a suspension fork and rims made of butter. Suspension forks of that era looks great but now all paths are smooth. Shimano XT 737 works as good as today systems and have even better quality.

Good days, but my new built is a dream and I don´t miss that days. One reason is the new buitl as I have said, the other are the Marin and GT of the 90. ;)

But I miss all the cycling scene in MTB and Road: Pantani, Virenque, Indurain and in MTB Tomac, Giove, Tinker Juarez, Hans Rey ( Pacific Blue series :LOL: )

Back