Old school headset tool

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've recently bought a subtle scooter for my youngest son, it has an old style threaded headset. It has been a while since I've used one and I need to tighten it. I no longer have the right spanner for the job, but loathed to buy a tool just for this. Are there any other tools or techniques I can use to tighten it up? No problem on the upper nut, just nothing thin enough to hold the upper race in place while I tighten the top nut.

You could cut yourself a spanner out of 5mm plate with a jigsaw and file the edges.....but to be honest my headset spanner has worked fine for years and was dirt cheap. Probably £6 posted from ebay will sort you out.

I doubt even thin jaw adjustables will fit in that gap, but it does depend on the nut style. Then again they are £14 a pair even for a cheap set and they will be made from " chineeseum" and wont last.

Re:

Assuming its 1” you could get a Cool Tool spanner attachment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203048453205

Handy to have and by the time you drive around, buy materials and faff about prolly cheaper and better made.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If the spacer washer has the proper tab, you shouldn't need the thin spanner apart from to set the tension, which can be done with a strap wrench or even stilsons (with some padding to protect the race)

The thin spanner can be obtained cheaply:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEDALPRO-HEA ... SwpkpfuLeR

But I assume with your building background you have one of these....so are you referring to a knurled top nut? Ie not a nutty but a disc with a serrated edge? If so, you just use Stilsons, or a Mole on them....

Re:

Thanks all. I haven't checked the steerer size, assumed 1 1/8. It is the nut type. I thought I had the right tool, can't recall getting rid of any tools but can't find one thin enough to hold the lower one in place while I tighten the top one with a regular spanner. I could try and grip the lower cup and tighten the top, I don't want to damage the cup though.

TBH, i've used a strap wrench before now. Round the OD of the race.

Helps if you have a strap wrench.

I ground down an adjustable wrench to fit thin spaces. It has been useful for hub duties, headsets, and most recently, to attach the casters on my new propane grill. Unfortunately, no pictures, as it's very ugly

Back