Suntour XC-Expert / XC-Pro Freehub Question

sksmith2500

Dirt Disciple
For my Klein build, I am going back to Suntour XC-Pro. For the hubset, I want to put together a pair of XC-Pro hubs with grease guard. I also plan to run 8-speed Micro Drive.
I have the crankset and cassette, and I have an NOS XC-Expert 8-speed 135mm hub.
I purchased an XC-Pro 135mm rear hub off of ebay. The freehub was not specified, but the cost wasn't too high, so I took a risk.
My question is, if the XC-Pro freehub is a 7-speed, can I take the one off of the XC-Expert and put it on the XC-Pro hub?
Please give me your thoughts. Thanks!

Re:

Not done it but when looking for similar stuff I found a Suntour XC 7 speed to 8 speed upgrade kit which comes with a new axle. Given that the kit includes an axle my guesswork says something more is different than just the free hub?

https://www.sscycleworks.com/components ... -kits.html

That said if it were me and I already had the parts I would certainly see if it fits!

Re:

It Canberra done, I've done it once or twice. The biggest issue is that the xc Pro hub is different in a couple of ways:

1. Freehub is grease guard to has different bearing seal/covering/end

2. Non drive side is cartridge bearing so has a different cone/spacer arrangement.

You might be able to swap everything over, you may need to fettle a bit?

They should be compatible, as the splines on the hub body should be the same. However as I've seen and compared XC Pro and other XC (Comp/expert/etc) freehubs I've noticed that non-GG freehubs does not have that elusive grease "worm tunnel" inside of them. So greasing the hub from the grease ports won't work on the driveside (right), but still works on the left side.

Ok, so it sounds like it will work, but I would need to find an XC-Pro 8-speed axle for GG to work.
And I do not think I will be buying a $400 kit for it. Wow!!
Found this on ebay, It has been purchased. Unfortunately, coming to the States from Poland will take a little while.

N3t754N.jpg

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Re:

That looks right, what does the other end look like?

Do you wind sharing the link or seller, I have a nos xc people hub shell and freehub, could do with the correct axle as I have an xc conp one and the same dilemma.

Re: Re:

ishaw":ysus0p0d said:
That looks right, what does the other end look like?

Do you wind sharing the link or seller, I have a nos xc people hub shell and freehub, could do with the correct axle as I have an xc conp one and the same dilemma.

Here's a link to the ebay sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Suntour-FH ... 2749.l2649

He has photos of the whole axle.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
sksmith2500":1x38pi0g said:
Ok, so it sounds like it will work, but I would need to find an XC-Pro 8-speed axle for GG to work.
And I do not think I will be buying a $400 kit for it. Wow!!
Found this on ebay, It has been purchased. Unfortunately, coming to the States from Poland will take a little while.

N3t754N.jpg

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
That's a Microdrive version, if that's what you need, it's different to the normal one.

Re:

do you have a link to the xc pro hub you bought?
Did it say it was 8speed?

Any freehub other than the XC Pro looses the two machined away parts on the rear of the body, so grease cannot get into it.

I don't know many who actually use the grease guard part anyway.

Latest posts

Back