BB brand with 'longer' R/H/S threads than a Shimano??

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
The right-hand-side threads on my newly-acquired Cannondale are partially stripped (old BB welded in over many years - not my doing!). My LBS who got it out said it 'should be OK' after they re-cut the the threads, but ideally use a BB with more/ longer threads than the Shimano that came out. I wouldn't be able to torque it up as much that's for sure due to lessened thread depth.

I have a Shimano and Stronglight JP-400, both measure pretty much 13mm from the underside of the RHS cup lip.

Anyone know if any particular brand has longer/ more threads? Looking for one in 122mm or so - for Exage cranks. Exotic brand? Cheapo brand? I don't need to go down the route of a YST threadless one as the LHS is fine...yet....

The LHS of these BBS have way more threads....grrrr!

Thanks

I have the exact same problem with a 73mm BB :facepalm:

What did mine in is was the absurdly short 5mm of thread on a new Octalink BB

I do have one of the very early cartridge BBs that has the plastic cup on the drive side, this has made life a bit easier but it limits the cranks to square taper.

I am also going to start looking external BBs that have a longer thread so I can use the frame.

Re:

Shoulda said 68mm regular shell, taper axle style. All regular stuff for the Exage. So, might an earlier Shimano plastic RHS cup have more thread than the UN72 I have in the shed? Or any brand that typically has longer threads?

Re: Re:

TreaderSteve":190jmrxn said:
Sob sob, still looking for a hot lead on a taper BB with similarly loooong threads....

Then let me introduce you to <fanfare> Shimano UN300!

Looks nice and long at least when compared to older ones

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-BB-U ... %3A2334524

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back