Retro bike upgrade questions

billy_bunter":25e38k69 said:

Thank you! For everyone following i went with a diamondback ascent ex frame, want to make a little bit of an adventure bike out of it and just uddate it as i love the look. reference pic attached

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 18.59.16.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 18.59.16.png
    249 KB · Views: 307
Re:

@bosa

Just found this thread by chance. Are you still looking for a Sorrento? I have one for sale. It even has my cherished Flex Stem on it!

Re: Re:

Gobsheen":1ugd5lip said:
@bosa

Just found this thread by chance. Are you still looking for a Sorrento? I have one for sale. It even has my cherished Flex Stem on it!

Hi there, Ive actually managed to get a frame from an ascent ex and have been quietly working away on it, I would still be interested in getting a new frame and trying new things but not yet, although appreciate getting back to me, for everyone else interested in the build please find the rear end and drop out modification attached but please bear in mind i have a lot of cleaning up to do on it. would love to hear thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_9311-1.JPG
    IMG_9311-1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Bosa":152zqp4n said:
Hi there, Ive actually managed to get a frame from an ascent ex and have been quietly working away on it, I would still be interested in getting a new frame and trying new things but not yet, although appreciate getting back to me, for everyone else interested in the build please find the rear end and drop out modification attached but please bear in mind i have a lot of cleaning up to do on it. would love to hear thoughts.

Interesting. That's your own work, is it? Did you think about using an A2Z disc brake adapter and, if so, was there a reason for going down the route you've taken?

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":gp5m276x said:
Bosa":gp5m276x said:

Interesting. That's your own work, is it? Did you think about using an A2Z disc brake adapter and, if so, was there a reason for going down the route you've taken?

I made measurments and had it welded by a pro and the disk brake section is a lazer cut part but the design is my own, I dont want an adapter as the forces would be too strong and would compress the thing chain stays at the back potentially. I also didnt want it to look like ive just adapted it I want it to have a designed look like its always been like that. I have more images of the process and will continue to post if it helps people

Do you want something w/ the right look? Or the right function? Or just a bargain price?

What do you need, really?

A gravel ride does not need suspension. A mountain bike is not the best tool for distance riding while it excells on short loops on tight trails. An old touring bike w/ 700 wheels and rim brakes is a great gravel bike, much better than an mtb w/ susp forks.

Back