Show us your (Marin) Boingers!

I had 2 replacement swinging arms on my '97 Rift Zone. They changed the design but the first replacement still cracked. I also had 2 frames crack on the down tube, just under the head tube. The final incarnation remained with me 'til 2015. It also blew 2 original shocks so the third one had a second reservoir and went the distance. These frames are still, for me, the most important advance in suspension technology in MTB history.

How can I tell if I have a newer crack-proof swingarm?

But I suppose aluminium being what it is will crack at some point anyway.

ultrazenith":34ebwix4 said:
How can I tell if I have a newer crack-proof swingarm?

But I suppose aluminium being what it is will crack at some point anyway.

Why should it crack? If all aluminium cracked why is there so much of it still around and being used...?

:p

7snc5Os.jpg

I *think* this is the early one - the tube in the middle wasnt up to it allowing the arms to flex too much.

Later ones are far more bulky, and if they have proper disc tabs, they are far later anyway. They were all interchangeable right up until about 2006-ish

file.php

after some googling I count 4 different swingarm designs:

First design? (shown on models in catalogue when the mount vision came out)

A slightly beefed up version of the first one. Second design?

3rd and 4th?

Attachments

• mv1.jpg
    mv1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 241
  • mv2.jpg
    mv2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 240
  • mv3.jpg
    mv3.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 240
  • mv4.jpg
    mv4.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 240
Re:

My ‘98 Mount Vision came with mk2 but I replaced it with mk3 purely for the disc brake tabs. Both have taken a massive amount of abuse over the years - mainly due to the heft of the pilot!!!! Still going very strong though.

Attachments

• 34144B89-4A15-4EAF-A936-47F35C766604.jpeg
    34144B89-4A15-4EAF-A936-47F35C766604.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 233
Re: Re:

Meejoir":2yvw0akn said:
My ‘98 Mount Vision came with mk2 but I replaced it with mk3 purely for the disc brake tabs. Both have taken a massive amount of abuse over the years - mainly due to the heft of the pilot!!!! Still going very strong though.
Funny that. Maybe there have been 5 designs 'cos my Mk2 swinger had IS disc mounts.

Re:

I know the red n’ white B17 at the time had the disc tabs and that swingarm, which looked very much like the mk2. Maybe they were added to later models. I guess disc brakes were few and far between and in their infancy back in 1998. I’ve got the brochure somewhere, I might dig it out for old times sake!

Back