1994 Suntour ErgoTec Shifter experience?

ob1kadrobe

Devout Dirtbag
Hey Hey,
Has anyone here had any experience using 1994 Suntour ErgoTec Shifters? I attached an image for reference. They were Suntour's attempt at a grip-shift/rapid-fire hybrid system. I read they only came out in 1994. I have never seen them. Do not know if they were any good or well appreciated. A pair was on an old vintage bike I bought. Not sure if I want to use them or store them and get some retro over the bar shifters to match the Suntour group. Anything anyone can share would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• Suntour_ErgoTec_Shifters.jpg
    Suntour_ErgoTec_Shifters.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 473
Re:

Can't help, but I like the look of them much more than grip shift, and also the x-press shifters they did.

Its a shame suntour vanished, I think the quality if their stuff was better than shimano.

I just bought a pair for my Klein with XC-Pro microdrive.
But it will be a couple of months before I can give you any feedback. I need to get some new wheels built on the old hubs. First impression is they look to be pretty nice though.

Re:

Looks like a fishing reel with brake lever attached, I've not personally used those, but I think you should at least try them and let us know what you think.

Re: Re:

jimo746":18sf10ul said:
Looks like a fishing reel with brake lever attached, I've not personally used those, but I think you should at least try them and let us know what you think.

They are definitely going to be used. Going on my 94 Klein Fervor with with 8-speed Micro Drive. Waiting for the 8-speed hub to arrive, then building up a new set of wheels with Mavic X222's. Wanted some 231's but I couldn't pass up this NOS pair!

Re:

Ah, so it a twist shifter but has baffles to aid the pushing rather than a grip.

Seems there are three version.
- Suntour mechs, 8speed MD Cassette.
- Suntour Mechs, Shimano spaced Cassette
- Shimano Mechs, Shimano spaced cassette.

Designed for STX, XC-Expert, XC-Sport groups.

The weather here in Boise, Idaho USA is starting to get cold. I will be giving the new bicycle with the ErgoTecs a good cleaning and overhaul. Then I can off my experience using them. They look cool and only made for a year so I am happy to have them. Just have never used them. Most of the group on the bicycle is Suntour XC-Pro but not the shifters. Clean! Tune! Ride! Thanks for all the input.

Back