All things Orbit

Speaking of stablemates, if anyone comes across one of those off-road tandems, i've been in the market for one of those for ages! Have a good few tandems that could make way for it..

Re:

Pointed this way by weeman

Heres my recent aquisition

Reynolds 501 framed Frontier, super long chainstay, unsure of age but I am wondering if the frame number would give an indication....Featch?

IMG_20180507_215721.jpg

IMG_20180506_173756.jpg

IMG_20180506_172556.jpg

Re: Orbit mystery

I came across an Orbit that seems an odd mix of components - the frame is Reynolds 500 - which I understand is thought of as merely 'gas pipe' - somewhere it's described as triple-butted chromo steel - is that good?!

I guess that would make it a cheapest-Orbit? - but...

The wheels don't seem to go with that spec - Ambrosio 19 Extra Super Elite - with black rims - (spotted some withdrawn as sold after being priced at almost 500euros).

The rest of the spec is mainly Shimano - gears and brakes.

But also Lyotard/Christophe pedals/toe clips - which perhaps dates it to mid 80s?

If the 500 is not up the to the rest I suppose I could put the components on a 531 double-butted frame -

First - which Orbits would qualify - an America, a Thompson/Orbit?

Second - If not an Orbit frame maybe I should look for a 531c - I quite like them old and scratched (I would clearcoat) - not least as it means less chance of getting stolen) would anyone know of such a 56-58 cm frame for sale?).

Attachments

• Orbit 500.jpg
    Orbit 500.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 483
We're up visiting my parents and my brother picked this up on freecycle! Needs a bit of work and fresh paint, but there's a few bits in the spair parts box that'll go onto this.

REALLY high bottom bracket, still has clearence for much higher tires and also has 3 bottle cage mounts. Too weird things, it's a 'Frontier' which seems to have generally been a mountain bike model and it's also 531c which seems unusual for a tourer? Will live up here rather than come home and so will be a long work

Attachments

• 20200831_210156.jpg
    20200831_210156.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 414
Re:

There probably isnt a more appropriate place for this bike other than here. All adds to the history and story of the brand too.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=408542

And little coincidence the "Orbit Ecstasy" bears a striking resemblance for the obvious reasons, aside for the one piece bar and stem and fully filed fillet, its clear who the torchman was.

Attachments

• ODI Attack and Michelin Hots.jpg
    ODI Attack and Michelin Hots.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 404
  • - REYNOLDS 653 All Terrain -.jpg
    - REYNOLDS 653 All Terrain -.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 401
  • HAND BRAZED AND FILED..jpg
    HAND BRAZED AND FILED..jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 402
  • Orbit page 3.jpg
    Orbit page 3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 406
  • LEE COOPER.jpg
    LEE COOPER.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 406
66 triumph daytona":35tiphmu said:

Its a cool bike time long forgot, from a builder who never chased the limelight, simply always building.

Attachments

• Hand Filed..jpg
    Hand Filed..jpg
    108 KB · Views: 384
Re: Re:

Bike Hoarder":31f6sr84 said:
I've got a Sirius branded 531 - exactly the same as the Orbit (dropped top tube frame design etc).

I heard/read that Sirius 'became' Orbit (Orbit took over Sirius?). Can you give me more details on this?
Sirius was a small firm in Coventry building traditional road, touring and tandem frames and the occasional bike. They started building lugless brazed MTB frames in the late 1980s; these sold well but never made much money.
The owners of Sirius looking to increase profitability made a deal with Orbit of Dudley and for a while Sirius supplied their lugless frames and some others including tandems to Orbit - these were mostly the same frames that had been sold as Sirius. Orbit sent the tubes to Coventry (they had a special deal for buying Reynolds direct from the factory). The Sirius guys built them and sent them back in the raw state for Orbit to paint.
The Orbit MDs didn't like Sirius because the Sirius guys thought the Orbit MDs were clueless prats, and that Orbit quality wasn't that great, so when Dudley persuaded the Sirius owners to let them manage the Coventry works it was only a matter of time before they found excuses to retire or sack the Coventry workers. I think maybe Dudley continued to badge some frames as Sirius after Coventry shut down. Some time after that Orbit got into trouble (there was a rumour of misappropriation of funds but I don't think that came to anything in the end) and the business was sold off - part of it eventually became Orbit Tandems in Yorkshire.
Lee Cooper was the main guy at Sirius and he's still building nice custom frames.

Re:

So.... am I right when I sa ythat Lee Cooper built the first lot of Thorn Nomads too?

Re:

Took the Orbit Frontier out for a ride yesterday afternoon (up visiting my parents). It was an interesting bike to ride (no sarcasm).

Handled rough stuff (a potholed, stoney metalled path followed by a muddy section better than road. The position feels even more upright than a regular touring bike. I didn't start riding mountain bikes till 93 (with a GT Backwoods), but I have ridden a mid 80s stumpjumper and it felt closer to that than any form of roadbike? Wasn't too sluggish, but if you got out of the saddle you could feel the bottom bracket flex. Needs a new set of cables, will be changing the saddle and bars and putting on some 105 aero levers we have hanging around here.

I feel like it should get repainted, but tbh it'll probably be a spray can special...

Back